Ginger beer (yeast free)
A refreshing non-alcoholic drink that is full of flavour, this ginger beer is made without yeast or citrus. Makes approximately one litre / 4 cups.
Servings: 1 litre
- ½ cup fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoon cane sugar
- 4 cups sparkling water
- mint to garnish
Peel the ginger, and then grate with the coarse side of the grater. Add to a bowl along with the sugar. Muddle the mixture (stir, combine and press with the back of a spoon). Pour on the sparkling water.
Leave the ginger mixture to combine for 10-15 minutes.
Pass the liquid through a sieve into a jug. Discard the ginger.
Pour the ginger beer into your glasses, add ice and garnish with fresh mint.
Swiss Interest Group Histamine Intolerance (SIGHI) food compatibility list for histamine
All ingredients score 0 on the SIGHI list, with the exception of:
- Spend time muddling the mixture, pressing and even bashing(!) the ginger together with the sugar to release the juices. This will bring out the flavour.
- I suggest using a plain sparkling water rather than mineral water, as the latter would change the taste a great deal.
- ginger, which scores 1. There is a note stating 'Small amounts are well tolerated'.
- sparkling water is rated on the SIGHI list.