Turmeric chicken soup
This turmeric chicken soup is full of healthy ingredients and makes a lovely lunch or light dinner for the colder months. Serves 2 people, fairly generously.
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced or diced
- 1 chicken breast (if larger cut into two strips)
- 1 celery stick diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- ½ zucchini diced
- 2 cups kale stems removed and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 cm fresh ginger grated
- small handful parsley for garnish
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper optional
Fry the onion and garlic in olive oil and cook until softened, for 5-6 minutes. Add the grated ginger, turmeric and sweet paprika and fry for a further minute or so.
Add the celery, carrot and zucchini and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Use tongs to add the chicken breast to the pot, as well as the chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a light simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
Take out the chicken breast and shred. Place back in the pot, along with the kale. Add salt and pepper (if using). Cook on a light simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
Ladle into your bowls and enjoy!
Swiss Interest Group Histamine Intolerance (SIGHI) food compatibility list for histamine
All ingredients score 0 on the SIGHI list, with the exception of:
- kale is not rated on the SIGHI list.
- garlic, which scores 1.
- chicken and vegetable broth will depend on ingredients used.
- ginger, which scores 1.
- black pepper, which scores 2.