This blueberry chicken combines sweet fruit with fennel and a touch of maple syrup for a flavourful baked chicken dish that is dairy-free and gluten free. Perfect for a family meal!
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 chicken breasts cut into smaller pieces, if required
- 1.5 cups blueberries
- ½ small white onion diced
- 1 small fennel diced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced or finely diced
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper optional
Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).
Cut the chicken breasts into smaller pieces if required. Season with salt and pepper (if using). Add a tablespoon of olive oil to your skillet and fry the chicken each side until light golden brown (you may need to do this in two batches if your skillet is on the smaller size). About 10-12 minutes overall depending upon the size of the fillets. Set aside on a plate.
Reduce the heat to low and, in the same skillet, fry the onion and fennel in olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, blueberries, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a light simmer, and cook for around 10 minutes until the blueberries have broken down into around half liquid.
Add your chicken to an ovenproof dish and then spoon the blueberry sauce over it. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165F.
Swiss Interest Group Histamine Intolerance (SIGHI) food compatibility list for histamine
All ingredients score 0 on the SIGHI list, with the exception of:
- Cut the chicken breasts into smaller fillets if required.
- Heat the blueberry mixture until the berries break down and are around half dissolved into liquid. If needed, you can press on them with the back of a wooden spoon to help them along. Be careful though, they may spatter!
- Check the chicken has an internal temperature of 165F at its thickest point to ensure it is thoroughly cooked through.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- apple cider vinegar, which scores 1.
- garlic, which scores 1.
- black pepper, which scores 2.
Calories: 457kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 77mg | Potassium: 472mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 488IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 3mg