Apple blueberry sauce
This apple blueberry sauce is an easy three ingredient recipe, full of delicious fruity flavour. The recipe makes approximately 2.5 cups.
Servings: 2.5 cups
- 8 small apples cored, peeled, diced
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup water (more for a thinner consistency)
Peel the apples, remove their cores and dice into small pieces.
Add the apples, blueberries, maple syrup and water to a large pan. If using frozen blueberries add a tablespoon of water rather than ¼ cup, then more if required as the berries will release liquid. Stir to combine.
Bring the pan to a light boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 20 minutes on a very light simmer. Stir occasionally. If the apples cannot easily be pierced with a knife, continue to heat for a further 3-5 minutes. The blueberries should be mostly dissolved to liquid.
Allow to cool. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and blend. If the mixture is too thick add a little more water.
Swiss Interest Group Histamine Intolerance (SIGHI) food compatibility list for histamine
All ingredients score 0 on the SIGHI list.
- Adjust the amount of water to preference of how thick you prefer the sauce to be.
- If using frozen blueberries, you likely need slightly less water as they release their own liquid.
- Blend to the texture you prefer. Blending longer will give a smoother consistency.