Rhubarb and apple compote
This rhubarb and apple compote is a fruity sweet treat that is so easy to make. With just four ingredients, it comes together in around 20 minutes for a family dessert. Makes approximately 2 cups.
Servings: 2 cups
- 2.5 cups rhubarb diced
- 2 small red apples cored, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup more to preference
If picking your own rhubarb, remove the leaves, wash and dice the stalks into small pieces. For store-bought, dice into small pieces.
Core, peel and dice the apples.
Spoon the butter into a large pan and melt on a low heat. Tip in the fruit and pour in the maple syrup. Stir to combine and bring to a light simmer. Cook for 12 minutes or until the fruit has softened.
Swiss Interest Group Histamine Intolerance (SIGHI) food compatibility list for histamine
All ingredients score 0 on the SIGHI list, with the exception of:
- Dice the fruit into roughly similar size pieces so they cook evenly.
- Stir once or twice during the cook time.
- rhubarb scores 1 with a note stating 'controversial. Often well tolerated. Oxalic acid'.