Asparagus broccoli soup
This asparagus broccoli soup makes the most of fresh spring produce for a cosy yet light soup perfect for lunch. Makes 3 generous servings.
Servings: 3 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced or finely diced
- 2 cups asparagus trimmed and diced
- 4 cups broccoli florets diced
- ½ zucchini diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper optional
Fry onion in olive oil in a large pot on a low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add in the broccoli, asparagus and zucchini, as well as the bay leaf and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a very light simmer and pour in the non-dairy milk and season with salt and black pepper. Cook for 30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf from the pot. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup, and then ladle into your bowls. Swirl on some olive oil and fresh mint leaves to garnish and serve immediately.
Swiss Interest Group Histamine Intolerance (SIGHI) food compatibility list for histamine
All ingredients score 0 on the SIGHI list, with the exception of:
- See the post above for details on how to prepare the asparagus spears before making the soup.
- Be sure to let the vegetables cook for at least five minutes before adding the stock to bring out their flavour. You can always cook for longer if you have the time.
- If required, heat the soup after you blend so it is hot to serve.
- garlic, which scores 1.
- non-dairy milk has variable scores.
- vegetable stock will depend upon ingredients used.
- black pepper, which scores 2.