This rhubarb mocktail is fresh and light, with a lovely touch of sweetness.
Servings: 2 servings
- 3 cups rhubarb diced
- 1 small handful basil leaves
- 3 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup still water
- sparkling water
- ice cubes
Dice the rhubarb into small pieces.
Add the rhubarb, honey, still water and basil to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer on low for 12 minutes or until the rhubarb has broken down and looks 'soupy' in texture. Set aside to cool.
Strain the rhubarb mixture through a fine mesh sieve placed over a glass bowl. Use the rhubarb mixture that has passed through the sieve, discarding the mixture left in the sieve.
Add around ½ inch of the syrup to your glasses, and top with ice. Pour on the sparkling water. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Swiss Interest Group Histamine Intolerance (SIGHI) food compatibility list for histamine
All ingredients score 0 on the SIGHI list, with the exception of:
- Dice the rhubarb quite roughly, it doesn't have to be even in size.
- If the rhubarb isn't breaking down (it should do), use the back of a wooden spoon to help it along.
- If you like a very sweet mocktail add another tablespoon of honey to the pan.
- Basil can be swapped out for rosemary if you prefer.
- rhubarb, which scores 1. There is a note stating 'Controversial. Often well tolerated. Oxalic acid'.
- sparkling water isn't rated.