Spiced poached pears (without wine)
These spiced poached pears are made with apple juice, and so without alcohol, for a fun dessert perfect for fall. Vegan, gluten free and low histamine recipe. Makes 4 servings.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 large pears
- 3 cups apple juice
- 1 cm piece of ginger
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 1 star anise optional
- ¼ cup pistachios crushed
Peel the pears and add to a large pan with the apple juice, ginger, cardamom and optional cinnamon and star anise. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a light simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
Remove the pears from the pan, then increase the apple juice mixture to a light boil. Boil for around 15 minutes until the juice reduces and becomes a syrup.
Plate the pears and then drizzle on the syrup. Sprinkle with pistachios. Enjoy!
Swiss Interest Group Histamine Intolerance (SIGHI) food compatibility list for histamine
All ingredients score 0 on the SIGHI list, with the exception of:
- Be very careful when handling the syrup as it gets very hot - use tongs!
- Reduce the syrup for as long as you wish. The longer it is boiled, the more it will reduce and thicken.
- Cinnamon and star anise are both debated in terms of histamine, so only use if you know you tolerate well. The pears will still be flavourful without these ingredients.
- pears, which score 1.
- ginger, which scores 1.
- cinnamon scores 0 but is higher on other lists.
- star anise is not scored but just has a ?