This carrot celery soup with sage is packed with healthy vegetables and herbs for a cosy winter lunch or light dinner. It's an easy vegan soup recipe that all the family will love!
What to do with carrots and celery? Make soup of course! I've always got these vegetables in my fridge, as they are such shopping list staples. Along with herbs from the garden, we can whip up a tasty and healthy carrot soup in no time!
Soups are such a go-to for my family in the colder months, and you may like to see my turmeric chicken soup and pumpkin pesto soup for more fun options.
And if you are quite the celery fan, my creamy celery soup is so delicious for a light lunch!
This recipe was updated on 21 May with slight amendments to the recipe and notes, and new photos.
⭐ Why you'll love this recipe
- Healthy - packed with fall and winter vegetables and herbs, and all shopping list staples I think!
- Family friendly recipe - I always find soup goes down well with most people, but perhaps just reduce the sage a little if the kids prefer a less herby taste.
- Easy to make - a simple recipe with just a few steps to prepare. Nothing complicated I promise!
Make sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list and their quantities!
This lightly spiced carrot celery soup focuses on winter vegetables and herbs. The main ingredients you will need are:
- Carrots, celery and sweet potato - these root vegetables have the best flavour when cooked, and go slightly sweet. As always, choose fresh unbruised vegetables.
- Sage and turmeric - the herbs and spice provide so much flavour. If you don't have fresh sage then you can always use dried, just reduce the quantity as it is more pungent.
- Vegetable broth - the base of the soup. My low histamine readers may wish to check ingredients if using a store bought broth.
📖 Variations to the recipe
You can always adjust the ratios of the vegetables to preference, or those you have to hand.
If a hint of spice with the turmeric isn't your thing, then simply leave out or add a touch of another herb such as thyme.
My post on easy celery substitutes may be useful for those making soup but find they're out!
⏲️ Equipment needed
Large pot - you will need a large pot to cook the soup. Don't make the same mistake as I often do and try and use a small one!
Immersion blender - to blend the soup. Alternatively, you can transfer batches to a food processor and blend that way.
Ladle - to transfer the soup to your bowls.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Just a few very simple steps to make this carrot celery soup for your healthy lunch!
Peel the carrots and sweet potato, then dice along with the onion, celery and garlic (image 1).
Add the onion, garlic, celery and turmeric to a large pot and fry for 4-5 minutes in olive oil until the onion is softened (image 2).
Add the carrots and sweet potato and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Then pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook on a very light simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the vegetables have softened. Add the fresh sage and salt about five minutes before the end of cook time (image 3).
Use an immersion blender to blend the soup, or transfer batches to your food processor and blend that way (image 4). Ladle into your bowls and enjoy!
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Roughly dice the vegetables. They don't need to be even, just roughly similar in size.
- If using dried sage, reduce the quantity to about ½ teaspoon as it is quite pungent.
- Add more vegetable stock if the soup is too thick to your preference.
📋 Freezing guidance
This carrot celery soup can easily be frozen. Portion into tupperware containers or bags and freeze. When reheating you will likely need to add some more vegetable stock or a touch of water.
🥣 More healthy soup recipes
Lots of healthy and tasty ideas for lunch or a light dinner. Find reader favourites such as the quinoa vegetable soup and broccoli and cauliflower soup, amongst many more. Some recent recipes:
I’m always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes. And please do leave a star rating ⭐ if you tried the recipe!
Carrot Celery Soup
- Peel and dice the carrots and sweet potato, and dice the celery, onion and garlic.
- In a medium sized pan, heat up the oil and add the onion, garlic, turmeric and celery. Fry on a low heat for 4-5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Add the carrot and sweet potato and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, adding the fresh sage about five minutes before the end of cook time.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer batches in a food processor) and blitz until the soup is a liquid texture.
- Adjust the amount of herbs and spice to taste preference. This is more on the 'pungent' side with the sage, so use less if you prefer.
- The vegetables don't need to be even in size as they will be blended, but on the smaller side is better so they cook through.
- Add more vegetable stock if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer batches to a food processor to blend the soup.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- vegetable broth will depend upon ingredients used.
- garlic, which scores 1.
Leave a Reply