This cauliflower zucchini soup is warming and cozy, with hints of spice from fragrant ginger and turmeric. A nourishing vegan soup that is very easy to make for a tasty lunch or light dinner!
If you love a zucchini soup, do have a peek at my zucchini leek soup for another day!
Soups are always cozy as a lunch on a colder day, or a light dinner. If you love soup as much as my family does, then you may like to see my parsnip ginger soup, winter root vegetable soup and broccoli and cauliflower soup. Both so tasty and healthy too!
And if cauliflower is one of your favourites, then perhaps make my parsnip and cauliflower soup for another day!
This cauliflower zucchini soup makes the most of fresh vegetables, spices and creamy coconut milk. It's full of goodness with anti-inflammatory spices, making it the best healthy comfort food!
⭐ Why this soup is so good
- Healthy lunch idea. This soup has so many foods understood to have anti-inflammatory properties such as ginger and turmeric.
- Tasty. The spices give so much flavor, and the coconut milk adds a lovely creaminess to the soup.
- Easy to make. A very simple recipe that takes very little time to come together.
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
The main ingredients you will need are:
- Onion and garlic: the traditional flavour base of soups, as well as stews and so many other dishes.
- Cauliflower: the main vegetable, it has a lovely hearty feeling. Choose fresh, unbruised produce.
- Sweet potato: alongside the cauliflower and zucchini, this makes the soup more of a 'dinner' and nice and filling, as my mum would say.
- Turmeric and ginger: for all the health benefits, and flavour (and the turmeric gives great colour too of course!).
- Coconut milk: so smooth and creamy, you want the kind from a can rather than the pouring type used for coffee.
📖 Swaps and variations
Swap sweet potato for white potato. Both work well so use whichever you have to hand!
Add extra spice. Love a spicy cauliflower soup? Add a pinch more turmeric, more fresh ginger and perhaps add in a sprinkle of sweet paprika too!
🥣 Equipment needed
Large pot - to cook the soup in.
Immersion blender - to blend the soup. Alternatively, you can transfer batches to a food processor and blend that way.
🔪 Step by step directions
Soup is always quite easy to make, and this cauliflower zucchini soup is no exception. Just a few steps:
Fry the onion and garlic on a gentle heat in the olive oil until softened (image 1).
Tip in the cauliflower, sweet potato, zucchini, ginger, turmeric and thyme and cook, stirring often, for another 4-5 minutes (image 2).
Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a very light simmer. Pour in the coconut milk, salt and pepper (if using) and stir well. Cook until the cauliflower and sweet potato is cooked through and fork tender (image 3).
Either use an immersion blender or food processor to blend the soup (image 4), then ladle into your bowls. Enjoy!
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Dice the cauliflower, sweet potato and zucchini into bite-size pieces. They don't have to be exact as we are going to blend them, but similar enough for an even cook time.
- If the cauliflower and potato start to stick in the pot before you add the vegetable stock, simply pour in a touch of water.
- If you don't have an immersion blender you can transfer batches to a food processor and blend that way.
- Up the ginger and turmeric for a spicier soup!
📋 Frequently asked questions
Roasting the cauliflower for the soup will give it extra delicious flavor, so you can of course do so! It will add some cook time to the recipe, so factor that in when preparing your lunch.
Yes! It's known as zucchini in the US and courgette in the UK and other countries, but is the same vegetable.
Simply add batches of the soup to a food processor to blend. Check that your blender is able to blend hot liquids, and allow to cool a little if not.
🥣 More healthy soup recipes
Cauliflower Zucchini Soup
- Large pot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced or finely diced
- 1 cauliflower diced into florets
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cm fresh ginger grated, or ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ can coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper optional
- fresh herbs, of choice
- In a large pot, fry the onion and garlic on a gentle heat in the olive oil for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add in the cauliflower, sweet potato, zucchini, ginger, thyme and turmeric and cook, stirring often, for another 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a very light simmer. Pour in the coconut milk, salt and pepper (if using) and stir well. Cook for a further 20 minutes or until the cauliflower and potato are fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender to blend into a smooth consistency, or transfer to a food processor. You may need to do this in batches.
- Pour into your bowls, and garnish with fresh herbs of your choice. Enjoy!
- Dice the vegetables into roughly similar sizes for an even cook time.
- If the cauliflower and potato starts to stick before adding the vegetable stock, add a touch of water to the pan.
- If the soup is too thick for your preference then add some more vegetable stock or water.
- For those who do not have an immersion blender, you can transfer batches of the soup to a food processor and blend instead.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- vegetable stock is not rated, and will depend upon ingredients used.
- black pepper scores 2.
- garlic scores 1.
- ginger scores 1.