This creamy tahini pasta is a tasty comfort food and full of flavour from the herbs. It comes together in around 30 minutes and so is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. This pasta dish is vegan and low histamine, and can be gluten-free using appropriate pasta alternatives.
Pasta is always one of the most popular weeknight meals in my home, and I know lots of you love it too as they are such favourites here on the site! For some more vegan pasta recipes you may like to see my broccoli asparagus pasta which is lovely for the spring months and my vegan cauliflower alfredo. Both so tasty!
This vegan tahini pasta is a super easy recipe, and full of flavour. Easy to do, so you can spend more time relaxing than cooking of an evening!
Why this pasta recipe is so good
We all have those days when dinner feels like an effort. Yes, even me who loves to cook! When you're tired, stressed and that pile of ironing is still sat there days later and there are other chores to do, cooking can feel like a chore too. I think you will love this recipe because:
- Flavourful: the combination of herbs with creamy tahini is so good and has all the comfort food vibes.
- Tomato-free sauce: for those of us who aren't able to tolerate tomatoes, tahini is such a good swap. If you are vegetarian rather than vegan, you may like to see my roasted red pepper ricotta pasta for another pasta with no tomatoes option!
- Easy to make: super simple recipe and quick too!
The fresh herbs really make this recipe, and give the sauce that beautiful colour. You will need:
- Pasta: use the type of your preference, whether regular pasta or a gluten-free alternative.
- Tahini: the basis of the sauce. It is creamy and delicious! Note that is is a potential allergen, so only use if you know you tolerate sesame.
- Parsley, basil and (optional) mint: the herbs are the main flavour of this pasta sauce, and feel fresh and bright. The mint is optional, but I think it gives a taste of summer.
- Garlic: for that hit of flavour. You can add a little garlic powder if you don't have fresh garlic cloves.
- Olive oil: goes perfectly with the basil for a bit of Italian flavour.
- Apple cider vinegar (optional): for a little tang of acidity. Optional for my low histamine friends, only use if tolerated.
- Maple syrup: adds just a touch of sweetness.
Variations on the recipe
You can easily vary the herbs that you use to make the sauce. Coriander / cilantro is a favourite of mine, but I know it isn't to everyone's taste!
If you can't tolerate apple cider vinegar but are good with white distilled vinegar (scores 0 on the SIGHI list) then use that instead. Vinegar is optional, as not everyone can tolerate it.
Step by step instructions
This is a very easy recipe, and so perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. The dressing comes together in no time at all, and then all you need to do is make your pasta.
1. Add all the ingredients for the herbed tahini sauce into your Nutri-Bullet (what I use) or other blender.
2. Blend! You will likely need to scrape the sides of your blender down a few times. Add more water for a thinner consistency, and have a taste to see if you would like to add more herbs or garlic.
3. Cook your pasta according to packet instructions in salted water.
4. Drain the pasta and return to the pan. Pour in your herbed tahini sauce, and stir through so that the pasta is fully coated. You may wish to keep over the heat for a few minutes to warm it through. Plate up, and scatter on some more fresh herbs as a garnish. Season with salt and pepper (if using). Then enjoy!
Gluten-free pasta options
Making this recipe gluten-free is very simple - just use an alternative pasta. There are so many to choose from now. Some ideas:
Other uses for this tahini sauce
This tahini pasta sauce can also be used for lots of dishes, and not just for pasta! Why not try:
- on a baked potato with some roasted vegetables
- as a creamy sauce for cold pasta salad
- as a salad dressing (perhaps thin it out a little with some water)
More pasta dishes to try
Find cosy pasta dinner ideas as well as pasta salads perfect for summer picnics on my pasta recipes page. Some recent ideas to enjoy:
Creamy tahini pasta
- 8 oz pasta (or more to preference)
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a blender, and blending to a thick sauce. Adjust the consistency by adding more water if required.
- Cook your pasta in salted water according to packet instructions. Drain and add back into your saucepan.
- Stir the tahini herb sauce through the pasta, and allow to warm through for a few minutes (stir to prevent sticking to the pan).
- Plate up your pasta, sprinkle with more herbs for garnish, and season with more salt and pepper if required. Enjoy!
- Adjust the consistency of the sauce to preference by adding more tahini (to thicken) or water (to thin).
- Change up the herbs if you prefer!
- Use gluten-free pasta if required.
All ingredients score 0 on the SIGHI list, with the exception of:
- tahini (sesame) scores 1. It is a known potential allergen, so only make this recipe if you know you can tolerate sesame.
- apple cider vinegar, which scores 1.
- garlic, which scores 1.
- black pepper, which scores 2.