If you're looking for a 'few ingredient' fish dish then this honey quinoa crusted cod is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. The topping uses pantry staples of honey, pumpkin seeds, quinoa and herbs and is super simple, but super flavourful!
A fish dinner always goes down well in my home, and is so healthy too. If you love fish, then you may also like to see my sweet potato and ginger fish cakes and baked cod with pesto. Both tasty dinner ideas!
This recipe is inspired by Simply Quinoa's honey almond crusted salmon, but with swaps and substitutions to make it suitable for a low histamine diet.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This is at no extra cost to you, and is much appreciated support towards the running of the blog.
Why you'll love this recipe
Full of flavour. The honey gives such a nice sweetness, without being overpowering.
Gluten free crust. Using quinoa rather than breadcrumbs means this fish dish is gluten free.
Uses frozen fish. No worries about having fresh fish to hand, just raid the freezer!
This quinoa crusted cod recipe is made from the freezer with the fish, and items always in my pantry, so it's perfect for one of those 'oops, haven't been to the store for a bit' kind of nights! You will need:
- Frozen cod: a pantry (or freezer, rather!) staple in my house.
- Quinoa: for the crust. The Terrasoul organic quinoa is good.
- Honey: for a touch of sweetness.
- Pumpkin seeds: for some extra crunch for the topping. The Terrasoul organic pumpkin seeds are good.
- Herbs: use dried herbs, either a mix or a preferred herb.
Make sure to check the recipe card below for the full ingredients and instructions!
Step by step instructions
Bake the cod in an ovenproof dish for around 15 minutes.
Cook the quinoa and then mix in the herbs, honey, pumpkin seeds, salt and pepper.
Remove the fish from the oven and pat the quinoa mixture on top. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, or until white throughout and thoroughly cooked.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, this recipe uses frozen fish, so it is necessary to cook it through first.
The quinoa has to be cooked. It won't have any liquid to cook in if you simply add it to the fish. Just follow packet instructions for the cook time.
It should be white throughout, with no pink areas.
More fish dishes to enjoy
Honey quinoa crusted cod
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Once at temperature place your fish fillets in an ovenproof dish, cover with aluminium foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the fish is baking cook your quinoa, then mix in honey, pumpkin seeds, herbs and salt.
- Remove the fish from the oven and pat the quinoa mixture on top. Return to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- If you aren't a fan of pumpkin seeds you can simply omit from the recipe.
- For more of a crunch, crush the pumpkin seeds with the back of a spoon or whizz for a few seconds in a blender.
- There will be excess liquid from cooking the fish, you can discard this when you remove it from the oven to add the topping if you wish to.