This turkey cranberry cream cheese sandwich is a fun lunch idea perfect for the holiday season. It's so quick and easy to make, and uses ingredients we all have to hand over Thanksgiving and the holidays.
Now I'm sure not the only one that has a lot of packets of turkey in the fridge and freezer around the holidays . . . Much like my turkey rissoles, turkey sweet potato hash and my sage turkey in cream sauce, this recipe is a fun way to enjoy this festive food beyond the traditional roasted turkey.
Enjoying a turkey sandwich after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner has almost become a tradition in itself, don't you think? This turkey cranberry cream cheese sandwich recipe takes up a notch by adding tasty ingredients including creamy cheese and some greens too. Quick, easy and so tasty!
Is cream cheese one of your favourites? I think you will love my herb cream cheese stuffed sweet potato as another fun lunch idea!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
Festive ingredients. We only use a few ingredients for this turkey sandwich, and most are in the pantry or fridge around the holidays!
Make from fresh if you like. While leftover turkey can be used if it works for you, I show how to cook and shred fresh turkey below.
Add some extras. Some ideas for extra fillings are given below!
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
Some notes on a few of them:
- Turkey - we can cook from fresh, as below, or it it works for you then leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or holiday celebrations can be used to make this sandwich.
- Cranberry sauce - either make your own with my cranberry sauce recipe or turn to the jar we all tend to have during the holidays.
📖 Swaps and variations
Swap arugula for butter lettuce. I love the slight peppery heat of arugula, but lettuces are good too!
Add some mayo. One of my recipe testers was my niece who is 8 years old and *very* honest(!). I asked if the cream cheese was enough or if mayo was needed too, and she said just cream cheese. But if you like mayo and it works for you, then add a smear too.
Swap bread for oat or rice cakes. If bread isn't for you, then load up some crackers with the sandwich fillings!
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making this turkey cranberry cream cheese sandwich is super simple. Just a few steps:
Cook the turkey. Drizzle a little olive oil in your skillet and cook the turkey. Fry both sides to brown the turkey, making sure it has an internal temperature of 165F at the deepest points (image 1).
Shred the turkey. Once cool enough to handle, shred the turkey with two forks, or with a stand mixer with the appropriate attachment (image 2).
Spread with cream cheese. Add a layer of cream cheese to your bread (as thick or thin as you like!) (image 3).
Spread with cranberry sauce. Spread the other slice of bread with cranberry sauce (image 4).
Add the shredded turkey, along with the arugula. Season with salt and black pepper.
🥬 Ideas for add-ons
Like to oomph up your sandwiches with some healthy ingredients?
You can always add extra vegetables such as cucumber slices, more lettuce, or sliced radishes for a tang.
Toasted almond slivers would give a nice crunch.
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Slice the turkey into small fillets before frying for ease of cooking, and a shorter cook time.
- Be sure they have an internal temperature of 165F at their deepest point.
- If you like a more 'wet' filling and mayo works for you, then you can combine with the turkey.
- Have a peek at my low histamine sandwich fillings post for more tasty ideas!
📋 Frequently asked questions
If leftover turkey from your Thanksgiving or holiday meals works for you (likely not my low histamine readers), then you can easily skip the steps of cooking fresh turkey and simply assemble your sandwich!
You can easily use gluten free bread if that is suitable for you, or perhaps load up some rice cakes or oat cakes with the turkey and other ingredients instead!
If it works for you, then add a smear of mayo too (perhaps use a little less cream cheese so it doesn't feel too greasy).
🥘 More tasty turkey recipes
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And I love to hear from you - so please do leave a star rating ⭐ or comment if you have tried the recipe!
Turkey Cranberry Cream Cheese Sandwich
- Slice your turkey breasts into several pieces. Drizzle a little olive oil in your skillet and use tongs to place the turkey. Cook for 4-5 minutes, turning to heat both sides. Check for an internal temperature of 165F at their deepest point.
- Once cooled, use two forks to shred the turkey.
- Spread your slices of bread with cream cheese on one, and cranberry sauce on another.
- Add the turkey and arugula. Season with salt and black pepper, then assemble your sandwich.
- If leftover turkey works for you, then skip steps 1 & 2, and assemble your sandwich.
- For a homemade recipe, my cranberry sauce is easy and delicious.
- If mayo works for you, then add a smear to the sandwich.
- Add any extras to your filling, such as cucumber or radish slices or slivered almonds.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate not a guarantee.
- bread, which scores 1.
- cranberry sauce will depend upon ingredients used.
- black pepper, which scores 2.