This zucchini cheese toast is an indulgent recipe perfect for a weekend brunch or lunch recipe. The cream cheese goes perfectly with the mint and basil. A vegetarian and low histamine recipe.
Toast recipes are always a winner in my home, and can be changed up according to the season. For the holidays you may like to see my whipped ricotta crostini for another fun option!
These zucchini toasts are lovely for spring and summer as the fresh herbs really add so much flavour. A fun brunch idea I hope you will enjoy!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Avocado toast alternative - if avocados don't work for you then this zucchini toast is a perfect alternative.
- Comfort food - the gooey cheese and zucchini feels so cosy and indulgent.
- Easy to make - just a few steps to make the toasts.
This fun brunch (or lunch!) recipe requires fairly few ingredients. You will need:
- Toast - use the type of bread that works for you, or rice cakes as an alternative.
- Cream cheese - I suggest using a brand with as few additives as possible.
- Zucchini - the main fresh vegetable that goes soft and gooey when roasted in the oven.
- Mint and basil - both fresh and light, and perfect in summer.
- Olive oil - to roast the zucchini.
- Salt - to season. Personally I like pink Himalayan salt for its added nutrients.
- Sesame seeds - an optional garnish. The Terrasoul organic sesame seeds are good.
Make sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients and their quantities!
Step by step instructions
Bake the sliced zucchini in the oven until softened.
Toast the bread. Finely dice the basil, and the mint - leaving a few mint leaves aside to use as a garnish.
Add the cooked zucchini to a bowl, setting aside a few slices as a garnish. Mash the zucchini lightly with a fork. Stir in the cream cheese, olive oil, basil and diced mint leaves and salt to taste.
Top the toast with the zucchini mixture, and add the garnishes, including the sesame seeds if using.
More brunch ideas to enjoy
Blackberry quinoa breakfast bake
I’m always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes. And please do leave a star rating if you tried the recipe!
Zucchini Cheese Toast
- 2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini (I used a mix of yellow and green) sliced
- 3 tablespoon cream cheese
- 2 slices toast (rice cakes as an alternative)
- small handful mint leaves
- 10 basil leaves
- sprinkle pink himalayan salt to taste
- sprinkle sesame seeds optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 390F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Once the oven is at temperature, add the sliced zucchini to the baking tray and drizzle over 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- A few minutes before the zucchini is ready, toast the bread. Finely dice the basil, and the mint - leaving a few mint leaves aside to use as a garnish.
- Add the cooked zucchini to a bowl, setting aside a few slices as a garnish. Mash the zucchini lightly with a fork. Stir in the cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, basil and diced mint leaves and salt to taste.
- Top the toast with the zucchini mixture, and add the garnishes, including the sesame seeds if using.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- There are tons of cream cheese brands out there, from 'big name' brands to supermarket own brands. Personally, I have found that it is often the case that supermarket own brands contain fewer ingredients, and seem to contain fewer additives. Have a look at the ingredients lists to see which looks best for you.
- If you follow a low fodmap diet, as I have had to do at times, then mozzarella rates as low fodmap, whereas the softer cheeses such as cream cheese are considered to be high fodmap due to their higher lactose content.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
Swiss Interest Group Histamine IntoleranceAll ingredients score as 0 on SIGHI, with the exception of:
- wheat scores a '1' and has a ? as a liberator. If you prefer to be wheat-free, then you can add the topping to rice cakes or oat cakes instead.
- sesame seeds score a '1'. Omit if you are unable to tolerate or you could swap for some pumpkin seeds.
Rosemary Rose says
ZUCCHINI CHEESE TOAST WITH MINT AND BASIL
Can I asked you which bread YOU used? Look so good! I want to be extra careful in avoiding gluten even though I "think" I can eat it, not really sure, and really don't want to ruin this great recipe with a rice cake :-/ I didn't test for gluten allergy but suffering from extreme muscular pain, etc, since Covid in Nov '21.
Please email answer.
PS. Your recipes look fabulous!
Hi Rosemary, I don't recall which bread it was I'm afraid as I made the recipe quite some time ago. Thank you for the kind words about the recipes!