If you're looking for a fun breakfast, lunch or snack, then I think you'll love these cottage cheese toast ideas! With both savory and sweet options, this is a simple recipe that takes just 5 minutes to come together.
The beauty of these cottage cheese toasts is just how versatile they are! Love a savory toast option for lunch? Think topping them with vegetables, herbs and seeds! Looking for a sweet cottage cheese toast? Whip up a quick jam, and top with fruit, nuts or seeds and a drizzle of honey!
I think you'll love these toasts for breakfast or lunch as the high protein cheese really fills you up! Plus they're kid-friendly too. Quick and easy, have a peek at the cottage cheese toast ideas below as well as getting some inspo for other fun toppings to try out!
What is Cottage Cheese?
Cottage cheese is a fresh cheese that has a delicious light and creamy taste and texture. It's easy to find in stores, comes as full fat, low fat and no fat options and can be used for both sweet and savory recipes.
As Healthline describes, cottage cheese is made from the curds of various levels of pasteurized cow's milk, and does not undergo an aging or ripening process.
Cottage cheese is suitable for a vegetarian and gluten free diet, as well as being a lower histamine cheese per the SIGHI list for those with histamine intolerance.
How to Use Cottage Cheese in Recipes
Cottage cheese is a very versatile fresh cheese, and can be used for:
- Salads, sandwiches and buddha bowls
- Topping toasts, tartines, rice cakes and oat cakes
- Stirring into pasta sauces
- Making dips such as my cottage cheese herb tzatziki and whipped cottage cheese dill dip
- Baking and desserts, in cakes, cheesecakes and pancakes
Cottage cheese can be served as it is or, if you're not keen on the slightly lumpy texture, whipped in a food processor for a smoother texture. Make your own whipped cottage cheese at home!
How to Make Cottage Cheese Toast
A very basic toast requires just two ingredients of bread and cottage cheese. It really is just that, cottage cheese with bread! But of course we like to add fun toppings, so keep reading for ideas!
Step 1: Toast the bread
Whether you use a toaster oven, grill or a toaster (popular in the UK!), toast your bread to the level of browning you like.
Step 2: Add cottage cheese
Use a small spoon to spread the cottage cheese on the toast, adding as much as you like.
Recipe tip: if you prefer a whipped cottage cheese toast, blend your cheese in a food processor for a smoother texture.
Savory Cottage Cheese Toast Recipes
If you love fresh and light lunch ideas, then these are two of my favorite recipes to try. They easily work for lunch, but also as a tasty snack if you're feeling hungry . . .
- Cottage cheese + cucumber and radish slices + fresh dill
- Cottage cheese + diced bell pepper + basil leaves
Both these ideas are light and fresh, and perfect as a summer lunch or snack. I suggest to use good quality fresh produce, fresh herbs rather than dried and a little crack of black pepper if you like a touch of heat.
More Savory Topping Ideas
- Shredded chicken or turkey
- Grilled asparagus, zucchini or broccolini
- Cold or warm celery, onion or leeks
- Fresh lettuces such as lamb's lettuce or arugula
- Salsa such as a mango corn salsa or bell pepper salsa
- Hemp seeds
- Fried egg (if suitable for you)
- Fresh herbs, a pinch of spice or minced garlic
Sweet Cottage Cheese Toast Recipes
Perhaps you fancy an easy breakfast idea or snack and have a sweet tooth! These cottage cheese on toast recipes provide protein from the cheese, but add some sweetness.
- Cottage cheese + fruit chia jam + crushed Brazil nuts, hemp seeds, pepitas and flaxseeds
- Cottage cheese + fruit chia jam + diced apple + mint
Both these ideas get their delicious sweetness from a berry chia jam, which not only adds flavor but also some tasty chia seeds too! You can of course use regular jam too.
More Sweet Topping Ideas
- Stone fruits such as grilled peaches, nectarines and apricots
- Fresh fruits such as blueberries, blackberries or diced apple or pear
- Nuts and seeds
- Almond butter, macadamia butter or pumpkin seed butter
- Honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
- A pinch of cardamom, nutmeg or cinnamon
Recipe Tips and Notes
- As cottage cheese has a degree of liquid it can make your toast go a little soft and soggy if prepared too early. It's best to make just before your breakfast, lunch or snack!
- Some cottage cheese pots come with a little liquid at the top. I suggest to drain this as it will make the toast soggy.
- Add sweetness with a dash of maple syrup or honey.
- For a more savory lunch idea, garlic, herbs or spice will easily add so much flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cottage cheese is light, fresh and creamy with a hint of an acidic tang.
You can blend the cottage cheese to make a whipped cottage cheese toast!
If bread doesn't work for you, then you can simply top rice cakes or oat cakes with your cottage cheese and toppings.
Both cheese and bread are a little debated, given that some may have dairy or gluten intolerances or allergies. In terms of cottage cheese, Medical News Today notes that it is high in protein, calcium, B vitamins and vitamin A. Always check with a dietician which foods are suitable for you.
More Cheese Recipes
Fresh cheeses are delicious and so versatile as you can easily add flavor. Try my popular pesto ricotta pasta for dinner or my cream cheese stuffed mini sweet peppers for a fun appetizer! Some more cheesy ideas to try:
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And please do leave a star rating ⭐⭐⭐ if you've tried the recipe!
Cottage Cheese Toast (Savory and Sweet)
- Bread sliced
- Cottage cheese
- Savory toasts: shredded chicken or turkey, vegetables, herbs, spices
- Sweet toasts: chia jam, fresh fruit, berries, nut or seed butter, crushed nuts or seeds, honey, maple syrup
- Toast the bread slices.
- Spoon the cottage cheese onto your slices of toast, using as little or as much as you like.
- Top with your sweet or savory toppings. Serve immediately.
- As cottage cheese has a liquid content, I suggest to make the toasts fairly soon before serving so the bread doesn't go wet and soggy.
- Discard any liquid in your cottage cheese pot.
- For quick and easy flavor, use herbs or spice for savory options, or a sweetener for a sweeter option.
- Cottage cheese is rated as low histamine on the SIGHI list for histamine intolerance, but isn't mentioned on the version for MCAS.
- Bread (wheat) scores 1, but be mindful of other ingredients. Rice cakes and oat cakes are other options as a swap.
- Choose low histamine toppings.
Leave a Reply