This nutty wild rice salad is the perfect fall recipe for lunch, or as a light dinner. It is healthy and hearty, with a good crunch from the nuts and seeds. A vegetarian, gluten-free and low histamine salad.
Summer salads are always lovely as a light lunch, or as sides with other dishes. You may also like to see my roasted vegetable panzanella salad and quinoa and fennel salad. Both so tasty and easy to put together!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This is at no extra cost to you, and helps support the running of the blog.
For this easy vegetarian and gluten free lunch recipe you will need:
- Wild rice: I use a wild rice mix, but you can use all wild rice if you prefer. Wild rice has a lovely nutty taste that goes so well with the fruit, nuts and vegetables.
- Apple: for a lovely sweetness, and perfect for fall!
- Celery: an under-rated vegetable I think, this gives and both taste and crunch.
- Radishes: for that hint of peppery taste.
- Pistachio nuts: use unsalted, and I would suggest ones that aren't roasted if you are low histamine.
- Pumpkin seeds: always give a good crunch, and full of nutrients too. The Terrasoul organic pumpkin seeds are good.
- Parsley: use fresh if you can. Parsley goes well with most flavours. If you wish, you can add some coriander as well.
- Honey and garlic: for the salad dressing. Use more garlic if you like a lot of heat!
- Olive oil: I suggest using an extra virgin olive for its better taste and quality for the dressing. I use Filipo Berio extra virgin olive oil.
Step by step instructions
A very straightforward recipe, this easy lunch or side dish involves cooking the rice, making the dressing and then combining it all to infuse the flavours.
Cook the rice according to packet instructions (usually 15-20 minutes) and then set aside to cool.
Make the dressing by combining the ingredients and using a whisk or fork to blend together.
Add the diced vegetables, herb, nuts and seeds to a bowl and combine. Once the rice has cooled, add that to the bowl alongside the dressing. Stir to combine and then spoon onto your serving plate or bowl. Season with salt and pepper (if using).
Frequently asked questions
I would suggest not to prepare too far in advance, mostly because the apple would brown quite quickly.
You would want to use unsalted (and personally I would use ones that hadn't been roasted). Either of those flavours would be a bit overpowering in this salad.
You can use wild rice itself, but I prefer a wild rice mix.
How to serve
This salad makes a light vegetarian lunch on its own. It can also be served with fresh mozzarella or chicken.
In smaller portions it is also a lovely side dish, or served with other plates it is perfect for holiday buffet-style meals.
More salads to enjoy
Lots more options for your summer lunches or picnics!
Nutty wild rice salad
- ¾ cup wild rice or wild rice mix
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup pistachios not roasted, unsalted, shelled
- 1 apple chopped
- handful radishes sliced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- handful parsley + coriander to preference, chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar optional
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove minced or finely diced
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper optional
- Cook the rice to packet instructions and set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing by combining the ingredients and whisking together.
- Combine the rice with the other ingredients and drizzle on the dressing.
- Leave the rice to cool before combining with the other ingredients.
- Aside from parsley, coriander works nicely in this salad.
- Make sure the pistachios are not salted.
- garlic, which scores 1.
- apple cider vinegar, which scores 1.
- black pepper, which scores 2.