These honey roasted vegetables with rosemary have a lovely light sweetness that works perfectly with the aroma of herbs. It's very simple to make, pairs well with meat, fish or vegetarian options, and is a gluten free and low histamine side dish.
Side dishes are part of the fun of a Sunday roast, holiday meal or just a regular weeknight dinner in my opinion! You can always add so much flavour, and so you may like to see my cheesy cauliflower mash and hasselback butternut squash with brown butter and sage too.
For the holiday season you have to check out my ginger Brussels sprouts - so full of flavour!
These honey roasted vegetables are full of flavour, and look so pretty too. Such a versatile side that goes with all kinds of main dishes, whether for a weeknight meal or a special occasion.
⭐ Why you'll love this recipe
- Super easy to make - it really only requires a few steps and then the oven does the work for you!
- Very healthy - these vegetables are bursting with healthy vitamins, and taste so lovely too.
- Vegetarian, gluten-free and low histamine - I hope this makes it suitable for most dietary requirements.
- Easy to customise - simply swap out root vegetables for those you prefer or change up quantities of each vegetable.
This is a very simple recipe, focusing on root vegetables, honey and rosemary. You will need:
- Root vegetables: this recipe uses parsnips, beetroot, carrots and sweet potato. If you wish to change up quantities of each, then of course feel free. If you reduce the overall quantity, then adjust oil and honey accordingly.
- Honey: this makes the vegetables slightly caramelise so they have a perfect touch of sweetness. Rowse honey is always good, and I use it a lot.
- Rosemary: a pungent herb that flavours vegetables so well. I always have a plant growing at home!
- Olive oil: for baking the vegetables.
- Salt and black pepper: to season the vegetables. The black pepper is optional for those on a low histamine diet, as it rates as higher histamine.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making these honey roasted vegetables really couldn't be more simple and requires just a few steps:
Place the diced vegetables, with the exception of the beets, in a large baking dish. Drizzle the beets with olive oil and then wrap in foil (wrap fully, the photo is just to show you they are beets!).
Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables, as well as the honey and sprinkle with salt and pepper (if using). Toss so the vegetables are covered in the oil and honey. Nestle the rosemary sprigs in between the vegetables. Bake in the oven.
To serve, cut the roasted beetroot into small cubes roughly the same size as the other vegetables, and then combine into the pan.
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Dice the vegetables into roughly similar sized pieces for an even bake.
- Cook the beets separately, and wrapped. If you included with the other vegetables they would likely turn everything purple too!
- If you like much sweeter vegetables, add a little (or lot!) more honey.
📋 Frequently asked questions
You can use different vegetables, although I would suggest sticking to root vegetables that have a similar cook time. If you used other vegetables such as zucchini, for example, they would be rather overcooked if in the same baking dish.
I haven't tried it myself, but maple syrup should work really well and has the same sweetness as honey. Using maple syrup would make the recipe vegan.
All the ingredients in this recipe are gluten free, but make sure to check labels of any packaged foods being used.
🍽 More tasty side dishes
Find so many flavourful vegetable and potato sides to enjoy with your meals, including my cauliflower potato mash and my sweet potato casserole. Some recent recipes to try out:
I’m always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes. And please do leave a star rating if you tried the recipe!
Honey Roasted Vegetables
- 2 medium beetroot
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 parsnips diced
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 3-4 rosemary sprigs
- ¼ cup honey
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 390F.
- Place the diced vegetables, with the exception of the beets, in a large baking dish. Drizzle over the olive oil, honey and sprinkle with salt and pepper (if using). Nestle the rosemary sprigs in between the vegetables.
- Drizzle the beets with a little olive oil and then wrap in aluminium foil. Place on a separate baking tray.
- Bake the vegetables for around 45 minutes or until fork tender and with browning on the edges.
- To serve, dice the beetroot and then add into the dish with the other vegetables.
- Dice the vegetables into pieces of a roughly similar size so they cook evenly in the dish.
- Cook the beets separately as they need to be wrapped, and may also make the other vegetables a little purple!
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- black pepper, which scores 2.
What temp for the oven?
So sorry Nadia, just saw I forgot to include that. It's 200C / 390F.