Fall flu, food favorites, fun times and the end of summer. Let's have a catch-up!
I've been meaning to do a seasonal update post for quite some time. I mean, truth be told, I meant to do it weekly, then monthly, yet here we are thinking more in terms of seasons! But better late than never . . .
End of summer fun
I'm actually sitting here wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt, sweatshirt and a cardigan too. And furry slippers of course. Yes, summer has well and truly left and fall (or Autumn for my UK readers!) is definitely here.
I can't say I mind too much. After all, we had truly scorching temperatures this year and dreamt of rain and a cool breeze.
I've been making the most of the end of summer sunshine though and been doing a little tour of the beaches through October when I can snag a day off. Given that I hadn't seen the sea in about ten years, I'm making up for it now!
Beach day highlights for me are:
- The sea air - there's just something fresh and healing about it, don't you think.
- Packing a (low histamine) lunch to eat while watching the waves. Lots of salads, quinoa and fresh fruit made that morning.
- Walking the pier with a hot decaf coffee in my hand!
It's been a lovely way to end the summer!
And not so fun . . .
Urgh, where do I start! All first world problems, but the past few months have been a bit trying in a few ways.
Some health 'stuff':
- A cold that I still have that has angered my mast cells, doesn't let me sleep and doesn't show any signs of giving up any time soon. There's a cup of ginger tea beside me, and I'm making my apple ginger shots to help too!
- An increase in migraine attacks and daily headache. It happens most years during the seasonal change, but man, it never gets easier does it. My Avulux migraine glasses (affiliate link) are helping me out, as are my Blisslets nausea relief bands (affiliate link - discount codes below). I'm also trying out a single pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation device, but it's a bit too soon to know if it's helping.
And some random things:
- A broken phone that suddenly went all 'ghost scrolling' on me, leaving me to fear I would somehow buy something I didn't want or log me out of all my social media accounts by accident! A trip to the phone store it was . . .
- A keyboard that randomly stops me from typing numbers 1-9 when it feels like it. Quite the mystery. Perhaps a trip to Apple is on the cards to get a new one.
- Chasing cows! OK a really random one I know, but we have a field of cows near us and one little guy in particular keeps escaping and getting a bit too near the road. So I've been chasing him back down the path and into the field. A few minutes later I turn my head and he's escaped again though . . .
Soups have most definitely been my go-to this past month, either for lunch or dinner (or both!). With a never-ending cold and not as much energy as usual, making a big batch of my vegetable gnocchi soup and freezing portions has been perfect.
I've also been loving:
- Cardamom milk - when you have a cold and can't taste too much, the spice in this simple warm milk is the best!
- Smoothies for all the vitamins! My apple pear smoothie is always a favourite, and my celery cucumber smoothie makes a nice change from traditional fruit.
- Stuffed potatoes - also super simple, and you can choose from my cream cheese stuffed sweet potato or my turkey stuffed sweet potato.
What's new on the blog? Well lots of recipes for sure! I've been busy writing up a big backlog of tasty treats I recipe tested and shot photos through the summer for. Have a click around to find something new!
Better user experience
You will also see a slight change in about a month, as I am switching my ad provider. I hope this will make the blog a lot more user friendly for you guys, with less intrusive ads. I know they are a bit of a pain (although I also see fun new things I fall in love with!), but running the blog costs hundreds of dollars a month so they are a necessity. The new ones should be more user friendly!
(A few) slightly broader recipes
Slightly broader recipes. I've gone back and forth on this. I have a very diverse audience here, with some of you having to be quite restrictive with their diet, others asking me for foods that are still low histamine, but not necessarily all super low histamine (if you see what I mean). And others who aren't low histamine at all and just like a nice healthy recipe!
Personally I'm somewhere in the middle. I still have to eat low histamine, but there are some foods I can eat now that I couldn't a year or so ago. I'm hoping I can cater to everyone, at different stages of their health journey. So while the majority of the recipes will be mostly using foods scoring '0' on the SIGHI list, you will see the occasional recipe that has a few more ingredients rated '1' too. I hope that's OK with you.
I've had a lot of fun writing this! So perhaps I will try and do them more often if you guys like them. We do have Thanksgiving coming up super soon so I'm happy to do a big round-up of ideas for your celebrations!
So talk soon!
The affiliate discount codes I mentioned above:
For 15% off Blisslets nausea relief bands (super cute ones!) use the code 'fibrofog'
For $25 USD off a pair of Avulux migraine glasses use the code 'Throughthefibrofog'