This celery cucumber smoothie is light and refreshing, and perfect for breakfast or as a healthy mid-afternoon snack. Made without banana, it's super easy to make and takes just five minutes!
In the midst of a heatwave I wanted one thing - icy and refreshing drinks! I don't think my blender has ever been used more, and I whipped up this green smoothie and had to share. Perhaps you would also like to see my apple pear smoothie and lychee smoothie for more tasty options!
This celery and cucumber smoothie has all the green goodness, with hydrating vegetables alongside leafy greens and fresh mint for extra flavour. It's the healthy green smoothie made without banana that feels like such a treat!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
All the green goodness. We combine lots of greens to pack in those vitamins and nutrients!
Light and refreshing. Celery and cucumber both have a high water content, making this recipe perfect for a hot summer day.
Made without banana. If banana doesn't work for you, then this smoothie uses nutritious hemp seeds to thicken instead. They also give a source of plant-based protein.
Quick and easy. All you need to do is a little chopping, blend and you're done!
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
- Cucumber and celery - always choose unbruised fresh produce for the best flavour and quality. Neither the celery nor the cucumber should be bendy!
- Kale - the leafy green of the smoothie. I suggest using curly kale.
- Hemp seeds - be sure to use hulled hemp (sometimes called shelled hemp) as they are softer and have a better flavour. I use the Linwoods shelled hemp.
- Non-dairy milk - use the type that suits you best. Coconut milk works particularly well I think!
📖 Swaps and variations
Add a small apple. For a touch of sweetness, you can include a small apple.
Include a touch of maple syrup. Also for sweetness, a teaspoon or so will satisfy a sweet tooth!
Swap kale for spinach. If you prefer spinach, then this always works well in a smoothie (likely not suitable for my low histamine readers). Check out my spinach substitutes post for more ideas for greens!
🍯 Ideas for additional ingredients
This is a very versatile smoothie, and you can always add a few more ingredients to your preference. If doing so, you may need to add a little more liquid. Some ideas:
- Extra mint - a few more leaves will add even more flavour.
- Apple - will give a nice natural sweetness.
- Maple syrup - a refined sugar free sweetener.
- Chia seeds - a small sprinkle will give some extra protein.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Quick and easy, this celery cucumber smoothie comes together in minutes! Just a few steps:
After roughly dicing the cucumber, celery and kale, add to a blender along with the other ingredients (image 1).
Blend to a thick smoothie. Adjust with more ice or water to taste preference (image 2).
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Roughly dice the cucumber, celery and kale. They don't need to be even in size as they are all going to be blended.
- Keep the cucumber skins on. Unless you aren't a fan of the skin, you don't have to peel the cucumber. Simply remove the ends.
- Pour the milk into the blender first. I find that pouring liquids into the blender cup first helps to prevent any sticking.
- Add an ice cube at a time. Include ice slowly so you don't thin the smoothie too much or make it too watery.
📋 Frequently asked questions
No, you can simply blend with the skin on. No need to peel cucumber.
Using non-dairy milk as well as ingredients like hulled hemp seeds will help make a smoothie creamy.
🥒 Celery cucumber smoothie benefits
Both celery and cucumber have a high water content so are nicely hydrating for the summer months. Celery is high in vitamins A,C and K amongst other nutrients (Healthline), while cucumber has small amounts of vitamins A and K as well as phytonutrients and fibre (WebMD).
🍽 More smoothies and juices
Find so many healthy breakfast smoothies and juices, including my popular mango blueberry smoothie and apple ginger turmeric juice. Some recent recipes to enjoy:
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And please do leave a star rating if you made the recipe!
Celery Cucumber Smoothie
- ½ cup English cucumber diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- ¼ cup kale tightly packed, diced
- 2 tablespoon shelled hemp seeds
- 3 large mint leaves
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup cold water
- Roughly dice the cucumber and celery, and shred the kale into small pieces.
- Place all the ingredients in your blender, and blend to a smoothie. Adjust with more water and/or ice to preference.
- Roughly dice the celery, cucumber and kale. No need to peel the cucumber.
- Pour the liquids into your blender first to help prevent sticking.
- Adjust the amount of water and ice to taste preference.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- kale is not rated.
- non-dairy milk has variable scores.
Leave a Reply