Fun and fruity, this blueberry smoothie without banana is packed with berries as well as a touch of oats and chia seeds to make it a little more hearty. Super easy to make in just a few minutes as a flavorful breakfast smoothie or snack!
Making this blueberry smoothie is super simple, and we use freezer and pantry staples so you shouldn't have to run to the store! It's made without banana or yogurt to make it suitable for a dairy-free diet or those looking for low histamine recipes.
To keep it thick and creamy we use frozen berries, and a pinch of oats and chia. You'll still get a sweet creamy smoothie, just without banana or yogurt!
And if yogurt isn't for you, my post on yogurt substitutes for smoothies has lots of suggestions to try!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
Sweet without a sweetener! Blueberries are wonderfully sweet as they are, meaning I don't tend to add a sweetener (although you can if you wish!).
Basic ingredients. Just head to the freezer and pantry to grab these ingredients, as I think many of us have them to hand.
Quick and easy. No complicated steps, and all you need is a blender.
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
Some notes to help guide you:
- Blueberries - I do suggest to use frozen blueberries rather than fresh berries as they will get you a thicker, creamy smoothie.
- Oats - use gluten free oats, if required.
- Chia seeds - I suggest to use whole chia seeds rather than milled chia.
- Non-dairy milk - use the type that suits you best.
📖 Swaps and variations
Swap almond butter for another nut or seed butter. If you're looking for low histamine recipes, macadamia nuts and pumpkin seeds rate as lower histamine per the SIGHI list (almonds score 1).
Add toppings! I love to add a few extra berries, pomegranate seeds or hemp seeds for a bit of fun and to make a smoothie feel a little more special.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making this no banana blueberry smoothie is super simple, and all you need is a blender.
Step 1: Add ingredients to a blender
Tip the frozen blueberries, chia seeds, oats and almond butter into your blender cup, and pour in the milk (image 1).
Step 2: Blend the smoothie!
Blend to a thick blueberry smoothie, adding ice to preference (image 2).
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- I highly suggest to use frozen berries. You'll get a thicker, creamier smoothie using frozen fruit. And you can enjoy year-round too!
- If you like a thicker smoothie add a little more frozen fruit, or pour in a touch more milk for a thinner consistency.
- Be sure to use certified gluten free oats if you have that dietary requirement.
- Add ice to preference.
📋 Frequently asked questions
You can use fresh blueberries, but you will likely need to use extra ice to get a creamy smoothie.
Frozen fruit, oats, nut butter or seeds are good swaps for bananas in a smoothie. I suggest to make sure you have enough fruit to give you the sweetness that usually comes from bananas.
Yes, we use non-dairy milk and no yogurt, making it a vegan smoothie.
I suggest to enjoy this blueberry smoothie as soon as it is made as it doesn't keep too well and may separate over time.
🥤 More fun smoothies
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And I love to hear from you - so please do leave a star rating ⭐⭐⭐ if you've tried the recipe!
Blueberry Smoothie without Banana
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend, and adjust with ice to preference.
- Pour into your glass and top with some fresh fruit or seeds if you like!
- I do suggest to use frozen blueberries rather than fresh blueberries for a thicker, creamy fruit smoothie.
- Adjust with more fruit or milk to get the consistency you prefer - some of us like it thicker, others thinner!
- Use certified gluten free oats if required.
- Add ice to preference.
- Nutritional information is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- non-dairy milk has variable scores.
- almonds (almond butter) scores 1. Swap for another nut or seed butter to preference.