This berry smoothie without yogurt makes the most of fall fruit, and has the perfect sweetness. Made without banana and using oats instead, it can easily be made with frozen fruit and is a healthy breakfast smoothie or mid-afternoon snack.
We all love smoothies for a fast breakfast, or post-workout snack, and I have a few here on the site you may like to try. The turmeric pomegranate smoothie is bursting with nutrients, my apple and pear smoothie is creamy and delicious and the cherry blueberry smoothie is perfect for summer.
This mixed berry smoothie without banana feels rich and indulgent with the fall fruit, especially if you are able to go pick some blackberries yourself. It's a yearly occasion for my family and this smoothie gets made on repeat during that time!
Why this recipe is so good
Fall flavours but enjoy year-round! Blackberries and the optional apples are always so fresh and flavourful in the fall months. Yet we can definitely turn to the freezer for the berries to enjoy all year!
Non-dairy smoothie. Made without yogurt and using non-dairy milk makes this smoothie suitable for a vegan diet.
Super easy to make. Just add the ingredients to your blender and blend away!
Made with pantry staples and frozen berries from the freezer, this smoothie requires minimal ingredients. All are in the recipe card below, but a few notes on a couple of them:
- Apple - the apple is optional, but if you are including it then I suggest that a red apple rather than green works better in terms of the flavour with the berries.
- Blackberries and blueberries - I suggest using frozen berries to make this smoothie. It helps the smoothie thicken and means you likely don't need to use ice.
- Oats - to thicken and add some substance to the smoothie. Use gluten free oats if required.
- Hemp seeds - be sure to used shelled hemp seeds (sometimes called hulled hemp) rather than unhulled as the latter is quite dry, doesn't taste great and is difficult to blend.
Variations to the recipe
Make sure to use certified gluten free oats if you are sensitive to gluten or coeliac.
If you would like to add some other berries such as blackcurrants, that would be delicious. Add a little more non-dairy milk if using a lot of extra fruit.
Step by step instructions
Making smoothies is such a simple task. Just a couple of steps!
Add the non-dairy milk to your blender, along with the other ingredients. Blend to a thick smoothie.
Have a taste and adjust to preference with more non-dairy milk to thin out a little or more oats or hemp to thicken. Serve immediately and enjoy!
How to make a smoothie without banana
Banana is frequently used in smoothies to thicken, but for some it's either a taste we aren't keen on or it isn't suitable for a particular dietary requirement. So it is good to use some substitutions to help thicken.
My go-to swaps for banana are oats and shelled hemp seeds. Both give a creamy taste and make a smoothie more filling.
Other options are a tiny piece of frozen cauliflower, chia seeds (I find milled chia to be best, but don't use too much as it can make the smoothie overly gelatinous in texture) or a nut or seed butter.
- While you can use fresh fruit, I find that frozen is far better to make smoothies. It helps to thicken, makes the smoothie nicely cold and of course, you can head to the freezer rather than have a trip to the store if you are out of fresh!
- If your blender struggles a little to blend frozen fruit, stop it before it gets hot and scrape down the sides as needed. You may simply need to 'push' the fruit towards the blender blades depending upon the type of blender you are using.
- Adjust the sweetness to taste. You may wish to leave out a sweetener altogether as the fruit has its own sweetness. But feel free to add a touch of maple syrup if you have a sweet fruit!
More smoothie recipes
Berry smoothie without yogurt
- Add the non-dairy milk to a blender, and then all the other ingredients. Blend until the mixture becomes a smoothie texture. Adjust with more milk to thin, to preference. Serve immediately.
- While you can use fresh fruit, frozen fruit tends to work better for a smoothie in terms of texture.
- If using fresh fruit you may wish to add ice.
- Pour the milk into the blender first, as it helps prevent the oats from sticking to the sides.
Swiss Interest Group Histamine IntoleranceAll ingredients score a '0' on the SIGHI list, with the exception of:
- non-dairy milk has variable scores.