This tasty tahini dressing is super simple to make, and works as a 'sauce' or dressing for so many dishes. In the recipe, I use tahini, water and a pinch of salt as the 'core' ingredients but you can easily customise to include honey, garlic, sweet paprika and more to your preference.
It can feel a little tricky to come up with sauces and dressings if you have to avoid certain ingredients such as citrus or stronger vinegars. I've been slowly coming up with lots of fun ones such as this dressing but also my pomegranate vinaigrette, pumpkin seed dressing and macadamia nut pesto that I hope are suitable for those on more restrictive diets.
This tahini sauce is creamy and delicious and so versatile. You don't need any fancy equipment and it takes very little time. Plus you can flavour as you wish with herbs and spices!
Love tahini? Then you may also like to see my tahini dill dressing!
⭐ Why this tahini dressing is so good
- Creamy and flavourful: sesame has such a creamy taste and texture, making tahini dressing so good on salads, pasta and so many other dishes.
- Customisable: so many ways to add extra flavour with herbs and spices (see below for ideas!).
- Vegan, gluten free and low histamine tahini dressing. It is suitable for all these dietary requirements, as long as you are able to tolerate sesame (scores 1 on the SIGHI list for histamine).
- Easy to make: such a simple way to make a sauce. It takes just a few minutes.
The main ingredients are simply:
- Tahini: the sauce that you can buy in the store. I suggest buying one that only has sesame as the ingredient.
- Warm water: to thin the tahini and transform it into a sauce.
- Salt and (optional) black pepper: to season, if you wish.
📖 Customising your tahini dressing
While the basic dressing is delicious, I suggest that you can 'up' the flavour according to what you fancy on the day with some pantry staples. Stirring in any of the following will give a nice change to your dressing and mix it up a bit with the flavours:
- Herbs: fresh herbs are bursting with flavour, and basil and coriander are both lovely with tahini.
- Sweet paprika: gives a nice hint of spice. If you don't follow a low histamine diet, then a touch of regular smoked paprika would also be lovely. The Szeged sweet paprika is good.
- Vinegar: just a tiny teaspoon will add an acidic tang. The Heinz white distilled vinegar is good.
- Honey: to add a little sweetness.
- Garlic: mince a little garlic for a touch of heat.
🔪 Step by step instructions
To make the dressing, all you need to do is combine the tahini, warm water and any of the other flavourings you would like. Stir, stir a bit more and then stir even more!
The tahini will first go gritty looking but then quickly transform into a smooth and creamy dressing.
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- If you prefer a more 'runny' sauce then add a touch more water. Prefer it thicker? Then add a little more tahini.
- The tahini will first look gritty, but keep stirring or whisking for a smooth and creamy dressing!
- Please note that sesame is a potential allergen. Only consume if you know you tolerate it well.
🍽 More sauces, dressings and pesto recipes
Both sweet and savoury options to add to your meal! Enjoy ideas such as the cranberry sauce for holiday recipes, and my Thai basil pesto and my roasted red pepper 'nomato' sauce for tasty pasta sauces. Some recent recipes:
- fresh herbs
- sweet paprika
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir well. Gradually whisk in the water until it becomes a creamy dressing. If you prefer a thinner consistency then add a teaspoon of water at a time.
- Drizzle on salads, power bowls or any meal you like!
- The tahini dressing will initially go a little gritty-looking when you are stirring it together, but keep whisking and it will turn creamy in texture.
- If you prefer a thinner tahini dressing, gradually add water a teaspoon at a time and keep whisking until it is your preferred consistency.
- If you want to add a touch of sweetness but are vegan, then swap out honey for maple syrup.
- tahini, as sesame seeds score 1.
- garlic, as an optional ingredient.
- apple cider vinegar, an optional ingredient.