Enjoy these air fryer root vegetables as a tasty, easy and very healthy side dish with your next evening meal! There's no need to turn the oven on to make these roasted vegetables, and they're so delicious from a rosemary garlic oil dressing.
With crispy edges and soft centres, these air fryer root vegetables are so full of flavor and definitely very moreish! We add rosemary and garlic flavored olive oil for tons of herby taste, and then air fry them up for a healthy vegetable side dish.
The best bit about making these roasted root vegetables in the air fryer? No need to turn the oven on! So much more affordable for a family dinner.
You can serve the roasted veggies as a hot side dish, perhaps with my air fryer boneless skinless chicken thighs or air fried frozen cod, or cold with summer salads. And of course they make a fun holiday side dish!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
Full of flavor. Roasted vegetables always have the best flavor, with a hint of sweetness. We coat the veggies in an easy rosemary garlic oil dressing for tons more taste!
No need to turn the oven on. Save on time and money, and make these air fried root vegetables in just 30 minutes. So much more affordable!
Quick and easy. No complicated steps, all you need is your air fryer, vegetables and pantry staples.
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
Some notes on a few of them:
- Root vegetables - I like to use carrots, sweet potato and parsnips, along with red onion for flavor. Make sure to dice into similar size pieces for an even cook time!
- Olive oil - this helps the edges of the veggies to get nice and crispy, and have that delicious caramelized browning.
- Rosemary - use fresh rosemary leaves if you have them, or dried if not (reduce the quantity as dried herbs are more pungent).
- Garlic powder - for that extra flavor! If it works for you then I do suggest using garlic powder as it really elevates the taste of the veggies.
📖 Swaps and variations
Swap the root vegetables. You could also use turnip, white potatoes and beets if you like them!
Swap the rosemary for another herb. Thyme, sage and oregano are also delicious.
Swap red onion for white onion. My low histamine readers may prefer to use white onion which scores 0 on the SIGHI list.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making these air fryer roasted root vegetables is so simple, with minimal prep time and then a simple air fry up!
All the instructions are in the recipe card below, but these photos should help guide you.
Step 1: Prep the vegetables
Peel the vegetables, then top and tail the carrots, sweet potatoes and parsnips. Dice into small bite-size pieces. Halve the red onion, then slice into four pieces (image 1).
Step 2: Make the herb oil
Combine olive oil, diced rosemary leaves, garlic powder and apple cider vinegar (optional). Stir or whisk to combine (image 2).
Recipe tip: swap red onion for white onion for a lower histamine option.
Step 3: Add the diced vegetables to the air fryer basket.
Add the root vegetables into your air fryer basket, and drizzle on the rosemary oil. Spread the vegetables into an even layer (use tongs not fingers!), with a little space between them so the air can circulate (image 3).
Step 4: Roast the root vegetables
Air fry the vegetables for 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket after 10 minutes. If you prefer more browning, cook for longer in 2 minute intervals (image 4).
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Dice into an even size. Dice the vegetables into pieces of roughly the same size for an even cook time.
- Air fry in batches. If you have a smaller air fryer, or dual basket air fryer (as I do!), then you may need to cook the vegetables in batches.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket. Arrange the vegetables so there is a little space between them so the air circulates around them. Too close together and the veggies will steam rather than roast.
- Adjust timings. Air fryers can run slightly hotter (or colder) depending upon the model, so adjust the air frying time accordingly.
📋 Frequently asked questions
Air fried root vegetables have a delicious sweetness, and have crispy edges and soft centres.
It takes 15-20 minutes to air fry root vegetables at 390F / 200C, depending upon the size of the vegetable pieces.
Carrots, parsnips, potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, beets and turnips can all be 'roasted' in the air fryer!
Definitely! Roasted vegetables freeze well as they have a low water content. Once the vegetables have cooled, add to a freezer safe container or bag. Freeze It states that you can freeze cooked vegetables for up to 8 months. My low histamine readers may wish to reduce this time.
🍽 How to serve air fryer roasted root vegetables
- For an all-air fryer meal, serve with my air fryer turkey burgers, air fryer chicken and potatoes or my air fryer pesto chicken!
- Enjoy as a vegetable side dish with flavorful dinner recipes such as my turkey in sage cream sauce, turkey rissoles and my paprika chicken recipe.
- Allow to cool and serve cold in buddha bowls such as my low histamine salad, savory cottage cheese bowl or with other salad dishes.
🌽 More healthy side dishes
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And I love to hear from you - so please do leave a star rating ⭐⭐⭐ and comment if you've tried the recipe!
Air Fryer Root Vegetables
- Prepare the vegetables. Peel and top and tail the sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Dice into small bite-size pieces. Peel the red onion and cut into half. Then cut the half onion into four pieces.
- Preheat the air fryer at 390F / 200C for 3 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil and apple cider vinegar (if using) into a small bowl. Add the diced rosemary, garlic powder and salt. Stir or whisk well to combine.
- Scatter the root vegetables into your air fryer basket in an even layer with a little space between them so the air can circulate. Drizzle on the rosemary garlic oil. Air fry the root vegetables for 15-20 minutes, to the amount of browning that you like. Shake the basket after 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the roasted vegetables from the air fryer basket with tongs as it will be very hot.
- Dice the vegetables into pieces of roughly the same size for an even cook time.
- You may need to work in batches if you have a smaller air fryer.
- Cook time will vary slightly depending on the size of your root vegetables, how hot your air fryer runs and how much browning you like. For more browning, air fry the root vegetables in two minute intervals.
- Nutritional information is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- red onion is not rated. Use white onion as a swap.
- garlic and (optional) apple cider vinegar, which score 1.