These lightly spiced air fryer sweet potato wedges are the healthy comfort food treat that's always a crowd-pleaser! Serve them with a fun dip as a tasty appetizer or side. Ready in just 20 minutes!
If you're as in love with your air fryer as I am, then I know you're going to enjoy making these super easy sweet potato wedges! No need to turn the oven on and bake for what feels like AGES - just air fry them up with a little spice in minutes. With crispy edges and soft centres, they're such a good healthy snack.
Making these sweet potato wedges as party food? I think you'll also want to pair them with my air fryer mini peppers and my air fryer pita chips. Dunk them in my cottage cheese dill dip for extra fun!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
Tasty healthy comfort food. These air fryer sweet potato wedges are just as moreish as regular French fries, but far healthier than take-out!
No need to turn the oven on. Save both time and money by air frying up your potato wedges.
Easy recipe. Simply toss the sweet potato wedges in oil, herbs and spices, then cook them up!
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
Some notes on a few of them:
- Sweet potatoes - it's down to preference whether you peel them or not. Personally I tend to, but it's not necessary. We are making wedges rather than sweet potato fries, so dice them a little more chunky!
- Paprika - you can use either regular paprika or sweet paprika. My low histamine readers will likely wish to use sweet paprika.
- Garlic powder - add a pinch more if you're a garlic lover!
📖 Swaps and variations
Add more spice! If you like more spicy sweet potato wedges, then add in a pinch of your favorite spices.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making these air fryer sweet potato wedges is very simple, with just a few steps:
Prepare the sweet potatoes. It's up to you whether to peel or not, but always slice the ends off! Then use a sharp knife to dice into wedges (image 1).
Spice up your sweet potato wedges! Add the wedges to a large bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil and sprinkle in the garlic powder, herbs and spice. Toss to coat or use your hands so the wedges are all covered in the oil-spice mixture (image 2).
Cook up your air fried sweet potato wedges. Use tongs to place the wedges in the air fryer basket, making sure they are in an even layer with a little space between them (image 3).
Air fry for 15 minutes at 390F / 200C, shaking the basket or flipping the wedges with tongs halfway through cook time. For more browning, air fry for a few more minutes to preference. Cook time will vary slightly depending on the thickness of the wedges. Very thin wedges will need less time.
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Dice the sweet potatoes into fairly similar sized wedges for an even cook time.
- Very thin wedges will need less cook time, and thicker wedges will need a few more minutes.
- Ensure the sweet potato wedges are in an even layer with space between them as it helps them get nice and crispy! If necessary work in batches if you have a smaller air fryer.
- Flip or shake the wedges halfway through the cook time.
- Add more spice for an even spicier sweet potato wedge!
📋 Frequently asked questions
It's down to preference whether to peel your sweet potatoes or not. Peeled or not peeled, both give you tasty wedges!
Sweet potato wedges take about 15 minutes to cook in the air fryer, but this may need to be adjusted slightly for thinner or thicker wedges.
For sweet potato wedges with crispy edges you want to spread them out in an even layer with space between them in your air fryer basket. Make sure to cook for long enough so they crisp up on the edges but are still fluffy in the middle.
🍽 How to serve air fryer sweet potato wedges
- Pair with your favorite dipping sauce! Perhaps you would like to try my zucchini baba ganoush or my healthy cauliflower hummus.
- Love an air fryer dinner? These sweet potato wedges will work perfectly with my air fried boneless chicken thighs or my air fryer turkey burgers!
- Enjoy as a side with my turkey cranberry sandwich for a tasty lunch or light dinner.
🥣 More fun appetizers
Appetizers are always a good way to get lots of flavor, and make some tasty fun dishes. Enjoy my whipped ricotta crostini or my herb cream cheese stuffed mini sweet peppers as well as these recent recipes:
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And please do leave a star rating ⭐⭐⭐ and comment if you've tried the recipe!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- 2 large sweet potatoes or 3 smaller
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika regular or sweet paprika*
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder more to preference
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer at 390F / 200C for 3 minutes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and remove the ends. Dice into wedges with a sharp knife.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle over the paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Toss to coat the sweet potatoes.
- Use tongs to place the wedges in the air fryer basket in an even layer, with a little space between them. You may need to work in batches if you have a smaller air fryer or dual basket air fryer.
- Air fry for 15 minutes at 390F / 200C, shaking the basket or flipping the wedges with tongs halfway through cook time. For more browning, air fry for a few more minutes to preference. Cook time will vary slightly depending on the thickness of the wedges.
- Dice the sweet potatoes into roughly similar size wedges for an even cook time.
- Thinner wedges will have a slightly shorter cook time, and thicker wedges slightly longer. Have a check on them every 4-5 minutes and adjust the cook time as needed.
- Flip using tongs or shake the basket well halfway through the cook time.
- garlic, which scores 1.
- black pepper, which scores 2.
Leave a Reply