These homemade air fryer pita chips are a fun appetizer or snack to serve with dips and hummus for parties and celebrations! Flavorful from garlic and herbs, making these crispy pita chips is so easy and takes just 15 minutes.
Who doesn't love a fun appetizer?! A spread of chips, dips and other 'picky' foods (as my niece calls them!) such as my cream cheese stuffed mini peppers and whipped ricotta crostini are so good for parties too - or even a fancy snack plate if you like!
Making these pita chips in the air fryer is so quick and easy and I think you'll love them far more than store-bought ones! Flavorful from olive oil and herbs, they're a crispy chip to dunk into dips or perhaps my cauliflower hummus!
Love all things air fryer? I think you'll want to check out my air fried chicken thighs, air fryer gnocchi and vegan air fried pears for more tasty options!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
A crispy herby treat! I used to spend so much money on a fancy bag of rosemary pita chips from the store, but these are so better - as homemade always is!
Versatile. Not a fan of rosemary? Do swap out for your favorite herb or spice instead.
Quick and easy appetizer or snack. Such a simple recipe, making these air fried pita chips takes so little time.
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
Some notes on a few of them:
- Pita pockets - you can use either white or wholegrain. Just a note that pita pockets are also known as pita breads depending upon where you live!
- Dried rosemary - I suggest using dried rosemary. If using fresh rosemary I suggest to dice very finely as it quite woody (and use the leaves not stems). For those who prefer a blend, then my herbes de Provence substitutes post has lots of ideas!
- Garlic powder - much better to use powder as fresh minced garlic has a tendency to burn from my experience.
📖 Swaps and variations
Swap rosemary for your favorite herb. You can leave out herbs altogether if you prefer, or swap for dried thyme, sage or a spice such as sweet paprika.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making these air fryer pita chips is so simple, with just a few steps:
Prepare the pita pockets. I suggest cutting the pita into halves, and then each half into thirds or quarters so you have rough pita triangles (image 1).
Coat the pita chips in herb oil. Combine the extra virgin olive oil, dried rosemary, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Use a silicone brush (or your hands) to coat the pita chips in the herb oil (image 2).
Air fry the pita chips. After preheating the air fryer, add the pita bread pieces in an even layer (image 3). Air fry for 8 minutes, shaking the air fryer basket every 3-4 minutes.
Check the texture of your pita chips, and continue to air fry in 2 minute intervals until you have the crispiness you like. The pita chips will go golden brown, and they will continue to crisp up a little after you finish cooking them and they cool.
💭 Expert recipe tips and notes
- Cut the pita breads into pieces of roughly the same size. Personally I suggest using kitchen scissors to cut the pita and into similar size pieces for an even cook time.
- Coat the pita in the olive oil. Lightly brush all of the pita pieces in the oil so they crisp up and go golden brown in the air fryer.
- Air fry the pita chips to your personal preference. Now I like a very crispy chip, but my family prefer them a little softer, so adjust the cook time slightly to your personal preference!
- Cook in batches. If you have a smaller air fryer, or a dual basket air fryer as I do, then you may want to cook the chips in batches so the basket doesn't get overcrowded.
- Watch your fingers! Air fryers get very hot, so always be careful when taking your pita chips out the basket. I suggest using tongs and definitely not fingers!
📋 Frequently asked questions
You can choose from other dried herbs such as thyme, parsley or oregano or spices such as sweet paprika or even cinnamon for a more sweet version. Have a peek at my overview of herbs and spices for more ideas!
The texture of the pita chips can range from slightly crispy and warmed through to a very crispy chip! Air fry for longer to get a more crispy chip.
It takes around 8 minutes to air fry pita chips, but the cook time will vary slightly depending your preference for how crispy they are, their size and the type of air fryer you have.
I suggest cooking the amount you are going to use. I've tried to store overnight in a tupperware container but they went a little on the stale side.
These pita chips are vegan, and can be gluten free using a certified gluten free pita. They are suitable for my low histamine readers if they tolerate wheat and any other ingredients in store-bought pita such as yeast.
🍽 How to serve air fryer pita chips
Enjoy your air fried pita chips with other plates as fun appetizers or party food! Some ideas to try:
- Dips are of course the best thing to dunk your homemade chips in! As well as hummus, I think you'll love my beet hummus, whipped ricotta with honey and cottage cheese tzatziki.
- Enjoy as a side for salads such as my cherry caprese salad and my asparagus caprese salad.
- Chips are always so good with cozy soups, such as my celery leek soup and asparagus and broccoli soup.
🥣 More fun appetizers
Find fun and healthy appetizers, including my popular cottage cheese dill dip for your evening meals and parties! Some recent recipes to try out:
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And I love to hear from you - so please do leave a star rating ⭐⭐⭐ and comment if you've tried the recipe!
Air Fryer Pita Chips
- 4 pita pockets (also known as pita bread)
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer at 300F / 150C for 3 minutes.
- Cut the pita pockets in half, then cut each half in three or four pieces to make triangles. I use kitchen scissors to do this, but a sharp knife also works.
- Combine the olive oil, dried rosemary, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Use a silicone brush (or your hands) to lightly coat the pita in the oil mix.
- Arrange the pita in an even layer in your air fryer, with space in between each piece. Air fry for 8 minutes at 320F / 160C, shaking the basket every 3-4 minutes. For more crispy pita chips, continue to air fry in intervals of 2 minutes to the crispiness you like. Set aside to cool slightly before enjoying with your favorite dips!
- Cut the pita pockets into similar size triangles so they cook evenly in your air fryer.
- Arrange the pita triangles in an even layer in your air fryer basket with a little space between them. If needed, cook in batches.
- Lightly coat the pita in the oil mix using a brush or hands.
- pita isn't specifically mentioned, but wheat scores 1 with a ? as a liberator. Be sure to check the other ingredients are suitable for you if using store-bought pita.
- garlic, which scores 1.
- black pepper, which scores 2.
Leave a Reply