This blackcurrant mocktail is a fun non-alcoholic drink with so much flavour! Fruity and delicious, it's so quick and easy to make for your summer parties or holiday celebrations.
Have a peek at my frozen fruit mocktail for another refreshing drinks option!
Do you remember ribena as a kid? Well this mocktail is sort-of the grown up version, with that deep berry flavour and lots of bubbles. It's rich in flavour and takes just five minutes (or less!) to come together.
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
Fun and fruity. Blackcurrants have such a deep flavour that is delicious chilled with some bubbles!
Minimal ingredients. We use mostly pantry staples to make this mocktail meaning you can easily whip it up for unexpected guests!
Quick and easy. No cook time, it comes together fast with no complicated steps.
Vegan, gluten free and low histamine. Suitable for these dietary requirements, just be sure to check ingredients on your cordial.
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
- Blackcurrant cordial - there are many variations of this type of cordial, so check ingredients to make sure any other additions such as lemon juice or other fruits are suitable for you.
- Apple juice - you can use either store-bought or freshly juiced.
- Mint leaves - definitely fresh leaves not dried!
📖 Swaps and variations
Adjust the amount of cordial to taste. If you have a sweet tooth add a touch more, or less if you prefer.
As noted above, do check your blackcurrant cordial. Most contain a few other ingredients, such as apple juice or lemon juice. Or they combine blackcurrants with blueberries or another berry. Pick the cordial that is best for you.
🔪 Step by step instructions
This blackcurrant mocktail recipe is quick and easy, with all simple steps:
Clap the mint between your hands a few times to help release the essence (image 1).
Add the mint leaves to your glasses and muddle to further release the essence (image 2).
Tip ice into your glasses, then pour in the blackcurrant cordial and apple juice (image 3). Top with sparkling water or club soda (image 4). Stir to combine, then top with mint leaves and frozen berries, if you wish. Serve immediately.
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Be sure to clap the mint. This releases the essence and better flavours the mocktail than simply adding the leaves as they are.
- Check the ingredients of the cordial. Different brands vary greatly in their added ingredients, so choose the one that suits you best.
- Wait for the bubbles to fizz out! Initially the mocktail will fizz up when you pour in the sparkling water. Wait for a few moments for it to subside, then add your extra mint leaves and berries if you wish to garnish.
📋 Frequently asked questions
You can easily leave out the apple juice if you prefer, or perhaps swap for a touch of elderflower cordial for a nice floral flavour.
In the recipe I suggest two tablespoons per glass, but adjust according to how sweet you prefer.
Thyme would also be nice!
If lemon juice works for you (likely not for my low histamine readers), then you can add a dash. It would give this drink a bit of a blackcurrant mojito vibe!
🍸 More fun and tasty mocktails
- Muddler or wooden spoon
- 4 tablespoon blackcurrant cordial
- 2 tablespoon apple juice
- 4 mint leaves and more to garnish
- 1 tablespoon frozen berries optional
- Clap the mint between your hands to release the essence.
- Place the mint in your glasses, then press with a muddler or the end of a wooden spoon.
- Add ice to your glasses, then pour in the blackcurrant cordial and apple juice (equally between the glasses). Top with sparkling water or soda and stir gently.
- Garnish with mint leaves and some frozen berries, if you wish. Serve immediately.
- I suggest not skipping the step to clap the mint as this releases the essence and flavours the mocktail.
- The mocktail will initially fizz up, but will soon settle. Add your garnishes of extra mint leaves and berries once it has settled.
- Check the ingredients of your cordial if you are sensitive to lemon juice or other ingredients. Some brands will include this in the cordial.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- check the cordial and apple juice for other ingredients you may not tolerate.
- sparkling water is not rated.