What could be more fall than these dairy free apple fritters?! Made with chunky apples, hints of spice and nutty spelt flour, they are very easy to make and so moreish. Make these fun vegetarian spiced apple fritters as a tasty no bake dessert for kids and adults alike!
Do have a peek at my flapjacks without golden syrup for another warming fall snack!
Cardamom is such a little handy spice. What do I mean by that? Well it packs a lot of flavor and can be used to spice up both sweet and savory dishes. Alongside these apple fritters you will find it to be the star ingredient of my cardamom oat cookies and cardamom apple crisp.
For another tasty fritter, you may like to see my pear fritters which are perfect for fall!
These dairy free apple fritters use just a touch of spice to elevate the warm and very moreish apples. Of course, add a pinch more than I suggest if you like a bigger kick of heat! Easy to make and a delicious family dessert.
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
For these spiced apple fritters the main ingredients you will need:
- Spelt flour: used in place of regular flour, this has a lovely nutty taste. I always use the Dove's Farm wholegrain spelt flour.
- Apples: the star ingredient of course. I dice mine on the slightly larger size, as I want to have bites of apple with a bit of batter, rather than the other way around.
- Egg yolk: to help bind the batter.
- Cardamom: use just a touch or more if you like more of a kick of spice. The Simply Organic cardamom is good.
- Maple syrup: to add sweetness, in place of regular sugar.
- Non-dairy milk: use the type that works best for you, whether oat milk or almond milk.
Variations to the recipe
If you prefer a non-spiced fritter then simply leave out the cardamom. They will still be perfectly sweet from the fruit!
🔪 Step by step instructions
These dairy free apple fritters are very easy to make, and would be a good recipe to get kids involved with too (other than the frying bit of course!).
The first step in to combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Use a whisk or spoon to combine.
In a smaller separate bowl combine the egg yolk, non-dairy milk and maple syrup. Whisk to combine.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir, as briefly as you can, to combine. Add the diced apple and cardamom. Stir into the batter.
After heating the oil in the pan, drop small handfuls of the batter into the oil, and then lightly press into your fritter shape with your hands (carefully - don't tough the oil!!!) or with a spatula (safer option!). Flip when golden brown. Cook time is 4-5 minutes.
(Note, I added more oil just after the photo for step 4 was taken).
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Use a fairly neutral tasting oil to fry the fritters, and one that is suitable for higher temperatures. Personally I use coconut oil.
- Use a candy thermometer to check the oil temperature. It needs to be about 370F. If you don't have a thermometer then place the end of a wooden spoon in the oil. If the oil slightly sizzles around it, then it's hot enough.
- You may need to adjust the temperature of the oil during the frying process or add more oil.
- Personally I wanted these spiced apple fritters to focus on the apple, rather than the batter. So I use a higher proportion of apple, and dice them a little bigger.
📋 Frequently asked questions
I like to use coconut oil as it has a fairly neutral taste.
Make sure not to overcrowd the skillet and to regulate the temperature of the oil so it is hot enough for crispy non-soggy apple fritters!
Personally I like red apples for sweetness, but if you don't want an overly sweet treat then tart Granny Smith apples are a good option.
🍽 How to serve apple fritters
Fritters are best served warm, of course. Although I think they are still good when cold too!
You can make a glaze for the fritters, and I would never say to no to a scoop of ice cream on the side. For my low histamine friends, I have heard that the Haagen-Daaz vanilla ice cream is suitable, but haven't tried it myself.
🍯 More tasty desserts
Dairy Free Apple Fritters
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg yolk, maple syrup and non-dairy milk. Whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir, as briefly as you can, to combine. Add the diced apple and cardamom. Stir into the dough.
- Spoon or pour the oil into a frying pan, so that you have at least ½ cm of oil. Heat until it is 370F or the end of a wooden spoon has the sizzle of oil around it.
- Drop small handfuls of the dough into the oil, and then lightly press into your fritter shape with your hands (carefully!!!) or with a spatula (safer option!). Flip when golden brown. Cook time is 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the fritter from the oil with a spatula and place on kitchen towel, and then repeat to cook all your fritters.
- Stir fairly briefly when adding the wet ingredients to the dry. Just so the apple is coated in the mixture and combined.
- Use a neutral tasting oil.
- Keep an eye on the fritters when frying, making sure not to let them burn.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- spelt scores 0, but has a note 'Prefer old varieties. Modern ATI-varieties modified by cultivation are often not well tolerated'
- baking powder is not rated.
- cardamom scores 0, but has a note that some varieties may not be well tolerated.
- non-dairy milk has variable scores.