This coconut turmeric rice is a fragrant side dish, made with coconut milk and herbs and garnished with nuts and seeds. It takes plain basmati rice to the next level! Easy to make, and a vegan and gluten free side that goes with so many main dishes.
Sides are always a way to add lots of extra flavour to your meals, and perfect for more special occasions when entertaining guests. I know my family love lots of choices, so here you will find ideas such as my ginger Brussels sprouts, my honey roasted vegetables and my creamy potato cauliflower mash. All delicious and easy to make!
This fragrant one pot turmeric coconut rice couldn't be easier to make. It really is a case of dumping the ingredients, giving them a stir and then dishing up less than 20 minutes later! It combines anti inflammatory ingredients, and a good topping of herbs, nuts and seeds for a healthy and flavourful side.
Looking for another side similar to rice? Do check our my post on how to cook frozen cauliflower rice!
⭐ Why you'll love this recipe
- Fragrant and creamy - the combination of turmeric and herbs with the coconut basmati rice elevate the flavour of the rice so well.
- Versatile. this rice is the perfect accompaniment for kebabs, salads, chicken or other fish dishes.
- Vegan and gluten free. Suitable for both dietary requirements.
All the ingredients are detailed in the recipe card below.
Some notes on a few of them:
- Rice - I find that basmati rice works best for this recipe.
- Turmeric - this can be adjusted in terms of quantity to taste preference. You will need turmeric powder.
- Coconut milk - you need a can of coconut milk rather than pouring coconut milk you would use for coffee.
- Pistachios and pumpkin seeds - give a nice crunch to the rice. Be sure to use ones that haven't been roasted or salted as that would overpower the other flavours.
📖 Variations to the recipe
As well as a parsley for the topping you can use other fresh herbs such as thyme, basil or mint. The mint would be lovely in the summer months if serving this coconut rice with BBQ food or salads.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Just a few steps to make this coconut turmeric rice, making it a very simple side dish.
Rinse the basmati rice in a fine mesh sieve (image 1).
Add your rinsed rice, coconut milk, vegetable broth and bay leaf to a pan (image 2). Bring to a boil, then stir well and reduce the heat (image 3).
Cover the pan and cook on a low simmer until the liquid has been absorbed (image 4). Have a peak after about 12 minutes to check how it is getting along - you don't want burnt rice!
Once the rice is done, transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle over the pistachio nuts, pumpkin seeds, fresh herbs, salt and pepper, if using.
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Don't worry if your coconut milk is all or partially solid, it will soon melt into a liquid once heated.
- Adjust the amount of turmeric to taste. If you prefer a little more spice, add another half teaspoon (or more!).
- 'Fluff up' the rice with a fork if required once cooked to separate the grains.
- Don't forget to remove the bay leaf before serving!
🍽 How to serve
This coconut turmeric rice is so versatile, and will work perfectly with so many other recipes. A simple dinner of chicken with the rice and vegetables would be lovely, or a piece of fish. Of course, it's always good with a stir-fry!
Some ideas for dishes to pair the rice with:
🥣 More ideas for side-dishes
There are lots of other ideas for sides to go along with your lunch or dinner meal on my sides page! Find dishes such as my garlic spaghetti squash and sweet potato casserole. Some recent recipes:
I’m always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes. And please do leave a star rating ⭐ if you tried the recipe!
Coconut Turmeric Rice
- 2 cups rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper optional
For the toppings
- 2 tablespoon pistachio nuts crushed
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 handful fresh herbs parsley or coriander
- Rinse your rice thoroughly in cold water until it runs clear.
- Add the rice, coconut milk, turmeric, vegetable broth and bay leaf to a pan and bring to a boil. Stir well and reduce the heat. Cover the pan and cook on a low simmer for 15-20 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed. Have a peak after about 12 minutes to check how it is getting along - you don't want burnt rice!
- Once the rice is done, remove the bay leaf, then transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle over the pistachio nuts, pumpkin seeds, fresh herbs, salt and pepper, if using.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- I use basmati rice, but I have seen similar recipes for coconut rice that use jasmine rice.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork before serving to separate the grains.
- Don't forget to remove the bay leaf!
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- black pepper, which is optional
- vegetable broth, as branded products are not rated on the SIGHI list.
Leave a Reply