These roasted carrots with tahini combine the perfectly sweet flavour of the roasted vegetables with a creamy sauce and pops of sweetness from the pomegranate. A delicious vegan side dish that is so easy to make!
When it comes to planning meals for the weekend or special occasions, I know my mind often goes straight to the sides! They add a little fun and lots of flavours to complement your main dish. My honey roasted vegetables with rosemary, steamed pak choi, ginger Brussels sprouts and garlic spaghetti squash are all flavourful vegetables sides to try out!
And for your carbs, then perhaps my gooey roasted zucchini and sweet potatoes is for you!
These tahini glazed carrots have the best subtle sweetness from being roasted in the oven. Is there any better way to eat your healthy veg?! To up the flavour even more, we drizzle with a creamy tahini sauce and scatter over the pomegranate for that slightly tart, slightly sweet pop of flavour. So delicious!
⭐ Why you'll love this recipe
- Perfect sweetness. Roasted carrots naturally have the most delicious sweetness, and it's a flavour which goes perfectly with the tahini drizzle.
- Easy but a little fancy! While this is a super simple recipe, it looks quite elegant and so works perfectly for when you are hosting friends and family for a special occasion.
- Staple ingredients. All the ingredients are easy to find in the store, and many are pantry staples.
The ingredients are all listed in the recipe card below, but some notes on a few:
- Carrots - you want fairly similar sized carrots for an even bake. And if you can find purple carrots alongside traditional orange ones in the store that would look even better!
- Tahini - for the dressing. I would suggest using light tahini rather than dark for it's light and more creamy taste.
- Sweet paprika - this is optional but gives a nice hint of spice. Sweet paprika is the more mild paprika, and isn't 'hot' in the same way as hot paprika is.
Make sure to see below for the full ingredients list and their quantities!
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making these roasted carrots with tahini is very simple, with just a few steps:
Add the carrots to a bowl along with the olive oil, maple syrup and sweet paprika. Toss to coat the carrots thoroughly in the mixture.
Arrange the carrots on a lined baking tray. Roast for around half an hour, or until fork tender.
Make the tahini dressing by adding the ingredients to a bowl and mixing thoroughly. Add more warm water to loosen the dressing to the consistency of your preference.
Arrange the carrots on your serving plate. Drizzle over the tahini sauce and sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and herbs.
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- If you are using carrots still with the leafy tops, trim so you have just a little of the green top remaining (as in the photos of the finished side here).
- Roast the carrots until they are fork tender. Cook time will vary slightly depending upon the size of the carrots. Thicker carrots may need a little more time in the oven.
- Adjust the tahini dressing to taste preference with more or less tahini (to thicken) or water (to thin).
📋 Freezing guidelines
These roasted carrots are best eaten on the day. While the tahini dressing can be frozen, it doesn't reheat too well along with the pomegranate.
🥣 More tasty side dishes
There are many delicious vegetable and potato sides to accompany your main dishes on the sides page, including my creamy potato cauliflower mash and hasselback butternut squash with maple brown butter. Some recipes to try out:
Roasted Carrots with Tahini
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the carrots, olive oil, maple syrup and sweet paprika and coat the carrots thoroughly in the mixture.
- Place the carrots on the lined baking tray and cook for 30-35 minutes, until fork tender. If the carrots are larger in size they may need a few more minutes.
- Make the tahini dressing by adding the ingredients to a bowl and mixing thoroughly to form a creamy sauce. Add warm water to loosen the dressing to the consistency of your preference.
- Arrange the roasted carrots on your serving plate. Drizzle over the tahini dressing and sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and herbs (if using).
- Remove leafy tops if your carrots have them. Trim so you have about half a centimetre of the top remaining.
- Adjust the tahini dressing to preference with more tahini to thicken, and more water to thin.
- Check the carrots are fork tender. If the carrots are on the larger side, they may need a few more minutes in the oven.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- tahini (sesame), which scores 1. It is a potential allergen so only use if you know you tolerate well.
- black pepper, which scores 2.