This rosemary roasted zucchini and sweet potato dish is a flavourful side, and the best healthy comfort food! Simple to make with minimal ingredients, they come together in around 30 minutes.
Whether it's as a holiday recipe, Sunday roast or just a weekend dinner, side dishes are just as important as the main dish, no? I know that my family loves some of the favourites here on the blog such as my honey roasted vegetables, pesto Brussels sprouts and the roasted zucchini and potatoes that were an inspiration for this recipe.
Sweet potatoes are a great swap for regular white potatoes, and pair so well with so many dishes. Melt in the mouth soft, they are so flavourful roasted with some deliciously pungent sprigs of rosemary. And the best part of this sheet pan sweet potato and zucchini is that it couldn't be easier as a quick side to join your main dishes!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
Healthy comfort food. There's something very cosy about sweet potato isn't there. With slightly crisp edges and gooey middles, they are so good!
A little change from white potato. Sweet potato works equally well with meat, fish or plant-based dishes, and is more suitable for diets such as the AIP diet than white potato.
Quick and easy. As this is a sheet pan recipe it's very simple to do, and comes together in around half an hour.
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
- Sweet potatoes and zucchini - choose unbruised fresh produce with no obvious dents or marks.
- Rosemary - I suggest using fresh rosemary sprigs, but you can use a little dried rosemary in a pinch.
💭 Do you have to peel sweet potatoes for roasting?
Sweet potatoes can be roasted either peeled or not. I tend to peel, because I prefer that texture but unpeeled is fine too!
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making this oven roasted sweet potato and zucchini side dish is very simple, with just a few steps.
Dice the sweet potato and zucchini (image 1). For the sweet potato, dice into rounds and then cut into halves. Depending upon the size of your sweet potato, cut into quarters if on the larger size.
Add the vegetables to a lined baking tray (image 2).
Recipe tip: cut the sweet potato and zucchini into roughly even sizes to help with a similar cook time.
Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil, and sprinkle over the salt and black pepper. Nestle the rosemary in between the vegetables (image 3).
Roast the vegetables for 25 minutes, checking in the last few minutes for any signs of browning (a little is fine and tasty, but we don't want burnt!) (image 4).
Recipe tip: if you are leaving the skins on the sweet potatoes they may take a little longer to cook. Keep an eye on the zucchini, and remove from the oven first if required.
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Dice the vegetables to roughly similar sizes for an even cook time.
- Personally I tend to peel sweet potatoes before roasting, but you can keep the skins on if you prefer.
- Dried rosemary can be used in place of fresh, but it is quite pungent so be a little careful on the quantity used!
📋 Frequently asked questions
Sweet potato does not need to be parboiled before roasting. Simply dice and roast.
Sweet potatoes can be peeled or not to preference when roasting in the oven. If they have sprouts then many people prefer to remove these with a knife.
Most herbs pair well with sweet potatoes including rosemary, thyme, oregano and cilantro.
🍽 More tasty sides
Find sides perfect for Thanksgiving and holiday recipes including my citrus free cranberry sauce and creamy potato cauliflower mash. Some recent recipes to try out:
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And please do leave a star rating if you have tried the recipe!
Rosemary Roasted Zucchini and Sweet Potato
- Serving dish
- 2 large sweet potatoes diced
- 2 small zucchini diced
- 2-3 rosemary sprigs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper optional
- parsley to serve, optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Dice the sweet potatoes and zucchini into small pieces, of roughly the same size.
- Place on your baking tray, drizzle with olive, sprinkle with salt and black pepper (if using) and nestle the rosemary sprigs between the vegetables. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through for a more even roast.
- Spoon into your serving dish and sprinkle with parsley, if using. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Peeling the sweet potatoes is optional. They roast well both with skins on and off.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into rounds, then cut those rounds into halves or quarters, depending upon their size.
- Keep an eye on the oven after 20 minutes for any signs of burning. The vegetables should be crisping at the edges, with slight browning, but definitely no burning!
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
Leave a Reply