If you are looking for a fun and fruity non-alcoholic drink then this apple ginger mocktail is one to try! Very healthy, easy to make and perfect for celebrations or just for a quiet night in front of the TV. This apple mocktail is a vegan, gluten-free and low histamine drink.
If you love the apple ginger combo, then check out my apple ginger juice which is a fun and healthy breakfast idea!
This apple ginger mocktail only uses a few ingredients, and has a gentle flavour from the apples and a hint of spice from the fresh ginger. Top with a thyme sprig for decoration if you like!
- Apple juice: you can either use a carton, or apple juice you press yourself (or use a juicer for). The latter would be especially lovely and fresh.
- Ginger: use fresh ginger root. It gives so much flavour, and is very good for you too.
- Cane sugar: to add sweetness and help bring out the juice from the ginger.
- Thyme: for that pungent herb flavour. Don't worry it isn't over-powering!
- Sparkling water: top your apple / ginger mixture with sparkling water for some fun bubbles.
Make sure to see the recipe card below for the full list of ingredients and their quantities!
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making this apple ginger mocktail is very simple with just a few steps:
Add the grated ginger, cane sugar and thyme sprigs to a bowl. Muddle the mixture by pressing and stirring so the mixture combines. This helps the ginger to release its juice. Pour on the apple juice and ½ cup sparkling water. Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes.
Strain the mixture through a sieve into a jug. Discard the ginger mixture. Pour into your glasses and top with sparkling water. Garnish with a thyme sprig and enjoy!
💭 Recipe tips and variations
The main recipe variation is to adjust the quantities of apple juice and sparkling water to your preference.
My mum likes only the teeniest bit of sparkling water as 'bubbles aren't her thing' (her words!), and prefers more of the apple juice mixture and doesn't top with more 'bubbles'. But if you like a more mild tasting drink, then do it the other way around!
If thyme isn't your favourite, then you could use mint instead.
🍹 More mocktails and fun drinks
Mocktails are always so good for a party night with friends and family. The rhubarb mocktail and lychee mocktail are both lovely for spring, the elderflower fizz mocktail a fun idea made without fruit, and the ginger beer mocktail has quite the zing! Some more fun ideas to try:
Apple Ginger Mocktail
- ⅛ cup fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- 1 cup apple juice
- sparkling water
- 3 thyme sprigs and more for garnish
- Add the grated ginger, cane sugar and thyme sprigs to a bowl. Muddle the mixture by pressing and stirring so the mixture combines. This helps the ginger to release its juice. Pour on the apple juice and ½ cup sparkling water. Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a jug. Discard the ginger mixture. Pour into your glasses and top with sparkling water. Garnish with a thyme sprig and enjoy!
- Make sure to give the ginger a good bash! This will help it release the juices and give more flavour.
- Use freshly juiced apple if you are sensitive to that from a carton.
- Adjust quantities of apple juice and sparkling water to preference.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- ginger, which scores 1. There is a note stating 'small amounts are well tolerated'
- apples score 0, but be mindful of additional ingredients in pre-prepared juice.