With crispy edges and a hint of spice, these air fryer frozen Brussels sprouts are such a tasty and moreish side dish or appetizer. Cook them up in about 20 minutes, and no need to turn the oven on!
Much like my air fryer mini peppers and my air fryer bok choy, these air fried Brussels sprouts are just the thing for a tasty side dish with your meat, chicken or plant-based mains!
I've added a little kick of spice to these frozen Brussels sprouts to give them even more flavor. The combination of spice and their crispy edges is so good! Prefer a plain sprout? Then feel free to leave them out.
I think you'll love these Brussels sprouts as a side for my spiced air fryer boneless skinless chicken thighs or my air fryer pesto chicken thighs!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
Simply head to the freezer! Making these air fryer frozen Brussels sprouts is so easy, as we can just head to the freezer and pantry for our ingredients.
Crispy edges. Air frying Brussels sprouts gives them the best texture, with crispy edges and soft middles.
Quick and easy. It only takes about 20 minutes to make this easy vegetable side, and no need to turn the oven on.
Vegan, gluten free, whole 30 and low histamine Brussels sprouts. This easy recipe is suitable for all these dietary requirements!
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
Some notes on a few of them:
- Brussels sprouts - we use frozen Brussels sprouts for this recipe, and you want to use plain unflavored ones. You don't need to trim frozen Brussels sprouts, they can be used as they are.
- Sweet paprika - just a sprinkle, but it adds a nice flavor. I suggest using sweet paprika rather than hot or smoked paprika as they have a much stronger taste. My low histamine readers will also likely wish to use sweet paprika.
- Ground ginger - adds a lot of flavor, but don't use too much as it can get a bit too spicy in my experience!
📖 Swaps and variations
Skip the spices. If you prefer a less spiced Brussel sprout, then you can easily just use garlic powder or only olive oil if you prefer.
Swap spices for dried herbs. Using dried thyme, parsley or rosemary would all add a nice flavor. Or perhaps a dash of Italian seasoning!
Add a dressing or drizzle. Serving Brussels sprouts with a tasty dressing, such as my tahini dill dressing or my spicy zucchini baba ganoush is always delicious. For even more flavor, those who aren't on a low histamine diet may like to add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making these air fryer frozen Brussels sprouts is very easy, and has just a few steps:
Season the sprouts! Add the frozen Brussels sprouts to a large bowl (no need to thaw first - grab them straight from the freezer) and drizzle on the olive oil. Then sprinkle over the spices and garlic powder and toss to coat (image 1).
Add to your air fryer basket. Place the Brussels sprouts in an even layer in your air fryer basket, with a little space between them. If you have a smaller air fryer you may need to work in batches or, if like me you have a dual basket, I need to use both baskets (image 2).
Recipe tip: I suggest using tongs to place the sprouts as they are cold and the basket will be hot after preheating!
Air fry your frozen Brussels sprouts. After preheating the air fryer, air fry for 8 minutes at 390F / 200C. Shake the basket well, then air fry for a further 8 minutes or until they are nice and crispy to your preference (image 3).
Smaller Brussels sprouts may need a few minutes less air frying time, and larger sprouts a few minutes more.
💭 Expert recipe tips and notes
- Love an extra flavorful Brussels sprout? Simply add a touch more of the seasoning!
- Arrange the Brussels sprouts in an even layer in the air fryer basket, with a little space between them. This helps the air circulate, and so cook the sprouts.
- No need to thaw the sprouts! Simply take out the freezer when you wish to use them.
- Larger Brussels sprouts may need a few extra minutes of cook time.
📋 Frequently asked questions
It takes 15-20 minutes to air fry frozen Brussels sprouts. The cook time will vary slightly, with larger Brussels sprouts needing a few extra minutes. If you like very crispy sprouts you may also wish to air fry for a little longer.
No, no need to thaw the Brussels sprouts. Simply season and air fry them up!
No need to prep the Brussels sprouts, you simply season and tip them into the air fryer to cook.
🍽 How to serve air fryer frozen Brussels sprouts
- Enjoy as a fun and healthy appetizer or snack as they are or with a tasty dipping sauce!
- Pair with other air fryer mains, such as my air fryer frozen cod or my air fried turkey burgers.
- Cook up as a side with chicken recipes such as my baked blueberry chicken or my ricotta stuffed chicken breast.
- Serve alongside a summer salad such as my pesto orzo salad or my roasted vegetable pasta salad.
🥗 More healthy sides
Whether it's my air fried broccoli and cauliflower or my pak choi salad, find lots of healthy and tasty side dishes here, including these recent recipes:
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And I love to hear from you - so please do leave a star rating ⭐⭐⭐ or comment if you've tried the recipe!
Air Fryer Frozen Brussels Sprouts
- 16 oz frozen Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika or regular paprika*
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the air fryer at 390F / 200C for three minutes.
- While the air fryer is preheating, add the frozen Brussels sprouts to a large bowl. Drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle over the garlic powder, sweet paprika and ground ginger. Toss or use your hands to coat the Brussels sprouts.
- Tip the Brussels sprouts into your air fryer basket. Use tongs (the basket will be hot as it is preheated) to arrange the sprouts in an even layer with a little space between them.
- Air fry for 8 minutes at 390F / 200C then shake the basket well. Air fry for a further 8 minutes, or until they reach the level of crispiness you like. Larger Brussels sprouts may need a few more minutes of cook time.
- Use tongs to remove the Brussels sprouts from the basket as it will be hot.
- No need to thaw the Brussels sprouts in advance, simply air fry from frozen.
- You don't need to trim or prep the Brussels sprouts before air frying.
- Adjust the amount of spices (or leave out completely) to preference.
- Larger Brussels sprouts may need a few more minutes in the air fryer, while much smaller ones may need a few minutes less.
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- Brussels sprouts score 1, and as a liberator. Other lists rate them as low histamine.
Leave a Reply