A steaming hot bowl of chicken soup is always delicious, and the best comfort food for a tasty lunch or light dinner. So if you are planning to cook up a bowl today, let's talk about what to serve with chicken soup!
Chicken soup is such a classic lunch idea and always a crowd-pleaser in my home! Whether you are looking for an easy lunch to take to work, or get gifted a tupperware with some homemade chicken soup when sick, it's a nutritious warming bowl of goodness to enjoy.
But perhaps you would like to find some chicken soup side dishes to make your meal a little more hearty, and add some extra flavor too. I have you covered and you won't have to wonder about what to serve with chicken soup after you read this tasty list of ideas!
Just a note to my low histamine readers that this is a broad informational post and may contain recipes that include higher histamine foods. Please be mindful of personal sensitivities.
- Types of chicken soup
- Chicken soup benefits
- Chicken soup side dishes
- What to serve with chicken soup
- Crackers, rice cakes and tortillas
- Sandwiches, quesadillas and crostini
- Vegetable and rice sides
- Add-ins and toppings for chicken soup
- Frequently asked questions
- More tasty chicken recipes
- 💬 Comments
Types of chicken soup
There are so many options when it comes to making homemade chicken soup and all are so delicious. Some tasty ideas to try:
- Chicken noodle soup - perhaps one of the most popular types, it's always so tasty and feels especially warming when you need a hug in a bowl or are under the weather.
- Creamy chicken soup - typically made with chicken, vegetables and either cream or coconut milk, creamy soups always feel so indulgent.
- Spiced chicken soup - whether it's a curried chicken soup or something a little more gentle such as my turmeric chicken soup, adding a hint of spice is delicious.
- Chicken vegetable soup - there are so many veggies, which means so many options to make this kind of soup! My chicken cabbage soup is always popular and so nourishing.
- Chicken tortilla soup - a hearty soup made with beans, corn and tortilla strips that works equally well for lunch as for dinner.
Chicken soup benefits
As well as being delicious, chicken soup has the benefits of:
- Being packed with nutritious ingredients, typically with vegetables, herbs and spices.
- Most recipes use fridge and pantry staples that we have to hand.
- Being so versatile - serve for lunch or dinner, and to the whole family!
- Usually simple to make and all in one pot on the stove top.
- Helps the sniffles! Maybe not scientifically proven, but they do say that chicken soup is the best for when you are sick!
Chicken soup side dishes
There are so many options if you are looking for what to serve with chicken soup, from warm sides to cold salads, and breads of course:
- Breads - a classic side for soup, choose fluffy rolls or fragrant garlic breads.
- Crackers and rice cakes - for a wheat-free and gluten free option, there are lots of seed crackers, rice and corn options to serve with your chicken soup.
- Vegetable sides - choose oven baked vegetables such as squash, beets, parsnips or carrots, or quick and easy steamed vegetables such as pak choi.
- Potatoes - pick from classic roasted potatoes, mash, wedges or sweet potatoes to eat alongside your chicken soup.
- Salads - for a refreshing cold side dish for your soup, a quick and easy salad, vegetable slaw or vegetable panzanella adds flavor and is so healthy too!
- Sandwiches - feeling extra hungry? A tasty sandwich takes your chicken soup to a hearty meal for lunch or dinner.
What to serve with chicken soup
Find so many flavorful sides to serve with your chicken soup, ranging from breads to vegetable options and so many more!
A classic dish to serve with chicken soup, these breads are easy to make and the best comfort food.
Crackers, rice cakes and tortillas
If you are looking for a change from bread or for a gluten free side dish for your chicken soup, these crackers and other options are perfect!
Sandwiches, quesadillas and crostini
Sandwiches are a classic side for chicken soup, with so many options. If you're extra hungry a sandwich is the best idea!
Vegetable and rice sides
Add extra healthy vitamins to your lunch or dinner with tasty vegetable sides for your chicken soup!
Whether it's roasted potatoes, potato mash or potato wedges, all add some comfort food carbs to the side of your chicken soup!
Fresh and bright, if you looking for a healthy side dish for chicken soup then salads are always a good choice!
Add-ins and toppings for chicken soup
Looking for some add-ins and toppings for chicken soup? These fun ideas will elevate your chicken soup with extra flavor or crunch!
Frequently asked questions
You can easily cook fresh chicken breast, then shred it and add to your soup. Alternatively, if leftovers work for you, then they can easily be used, as well as rotisserie chicken that is already prepared in the store.
Vegetables, potatoes, salads and crackers are all good sides for soup that aren't bread!
Salads, roasted vegetables, potatoes, rice and seed crackers are all gluten free options to go with soup.
Yes, chicken soup can be eaten for lunch, or for dinner. If you serve chicken soup for dinner then you may wish to serve it with some of the side dishes above to make it a more filling meal!
More tasty chicken recipes
As well as chicken soup, there are so many other chicken dishes to enjoy!
- Love creamy sauces? My creamy sage chicken and creamy paprika chicken are both easy skillet recipes and so indulgent!
- Sheet pan recipes are always a good idea for a busy weeknight, so have a peek at my sheet pan maple chicken and squash and my sheet pan pesto chicken with vegetables.
- If you're out grilling for the summer, my pesto chicken skewers and coconut chicken skewers are both so easy and tasty!
- For an easy dish, my pan-fried panko chicken is super simple and has the best crunchy coating.
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes!
Don't forget to pin the post!
Leave a Reply