This sour apple smoothie is a delicious blend of tart green apples, sweet mango and leafy greens! It's so quick and easy to make this green smoothie for a tasty snack, and it comes together in just a few minutes.
There's just *something* about the tart sour taste of Granny Smith apples that makes me buy them again and again! We make the most of them with this sour apple smoothie, and it's become a go-to fresh snack or to have with breakfast for us!
Green smoothies do, of course, make the most of greens, so we use a little kale in this apple smoothie. Don't worry though, the smoothie isn't bitter as the fruit masks the taste!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
Light and refreshing. This green smoothie is light, sweet and tart all at the same time!
Made without banana or yogurt. To make this recipe dairy free and a low histamine recipe, we make a sour green apple smoothie without banana or yogurt and make the most of frozen mango to thicken instead.
Quick and easy. Blend up your smoothie in just a few minutes!
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below.
Some notes on a few of them:
- Sour apples - we use Granny Smith apples for this smoothie for their tart, sour taste that's so moreish!
- Frozen mango - this helps thicken the smoothie and balance the flavors, so make sure to use frozen fruit not fresh. It's used in place of frozen banana for this recipe.
- Apple juice - this adds a little sweetness. My low histamine readers may wish to use freshly juiced apple.
- Kale - this is optional, but adds extra goodness and makes this a green smoothie!
📖 Swaps and variations
Add ginger for extra spice! You can add a little root ginger to your smoothie, for flavors similar to my apple ginger smoothie.
Use a less sour apple. There are lots of apple varieties, with Braeburn apples being a nice balance of sour and sweet flavor.
🔪 Step by step instructions
Making this sour green apple smoothie is super simple, has minimal easy to find ingredients and takes just a few minutes.
All the instructions are in the recipe card below, but these photos should help guide you.
Step 1: Add ingredients to a blender
Add cored, diced green apples, frozen mango chunks, kale, apple juice and optional hemp seeds to a blender cup (image 1). If using a high-powered blender there is no need to peel the apples.
Step 2: Blend the green apple smoothie!
Blend your sour apple smoothie (image 2). To thicken the smoothie more, add some ice or a little more frozen mango. For a thinner consistency, add a little more apple juice or water.
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Make sure to use a Granny Smith apple for a sour apple smoothie! Other types of apple will give you a sweeter smoothie.
- Use frozen mango. This will make a nice thick creamy smoothie, which fresh mango won't do so (or not as much!).
- Remove the tough stems of the kale. This helps the smoothie blend more easily.
- Use a high powered blender. Older blenders tend to struggle with blending frozen fruit and ice.
📋 Frequently asked questions
Granny Smith apples have a tart, sour taste.
In their apple sweetness scale, Stemilit note that Granny Smith apples are the most tart, with Braeburn, McIntosh, Jonathon and Empire apples all having tart flavors.
You can of course use sweeter apples to make this smoothie, it just won't have that tart sour taste that many of us love!
If you use fresh mango it won't give you the same creamy, thick smoothie as frozen mango will. It's fine to use fresh mango, it will just have a thinner consistency.
🥤 More fun smoothies
I'm always in the kitchen, so come join me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to be the first to hear of new recipes! And I love to hear from you - so please do leave a star rating ⭐⭐⭐ if you've tried the recipe!
Sour Apple Smoothie
- 2 Granny Smith apples cored, diced
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- ½ cup apple juice
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup more to preference
- ½ cup kale tightly packed, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds optional
- Remove the stems and cores from the apples and dice into large pieces.
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend your smoothie. Add ice cubes to taste and texture preference.
- The hemp seeds are optional, but add a little protein and help thicken the smoothie. Make sure to use hulled / shelled hemp!
- For a more creamy smoothie, you can swap the apple juice for a non-dairy milk.
- For a thicker consistency, add more ice or frozen mango chunks. For a thinner consistency, pour in a little more apple juice or water.
- Nutritional information is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- mango, which scores 1 with a ? as a liberator. There is a note, 'to be debated. Is often well tolerated'.
- kale is not rated on the SIGHI list. It can be omitted if you do not tolerate well, or have not tried before, or swapped for another leafy green that works for you.
- apple juice in a carton is not rated. If required, use freshly squeezed apple juice.