A delightful summer breakfast, these cherry overnight oats have all the cherry pie flavours and are so easy to make! Made without yogurt for a vegan recipe, they are creamy and delicious and perfect for a meal prep breakfast.
There's something about cherries that feels quite indulgent, and so perfect for summer. I know my family loves them, which is why they are always happy when I make recipes such as my cherry chia pudding, cherry caprese salad and the indulgent dessert of cherry blueberry crisp or cherry mango popsicles.
These cherry overnight oats are full of fruity flavour, and such a treat in the morning. Or as a healthy snack - they are very versatile! Combining the cherries with almonds gives that cherry bakewell flavour, so it's like eating dessert for breakfast, and what could be better than that!
⭐ Why this recipe is so good
Cherry pie flavours. The combination of cherries with almonds, and the creamy oats feels like dessert for breakfast (making it very kid-friendly I think!).
No cook time. This is a very easy recipe with very little 'hands on' time, and no bake time either. Simply combine the ingredients and give them a stir.
Pantry staples. Although you do need fresh cherries (and blueberries if using), all the other ingredients are pantry staples you will always find in most kitchens and on my shopping list too!
All the ingredients and their quantities are set out in the recipe card below, but some notes on a few of them:
- Cherries - if using fresh cherries you want fresh, unbruised produce. You can also use frozen cherries, but it's better to thaw them for around 20-30 minutes before use.
- Oats - I suggest using rolled oats that hold together and still have some 'bite' rather than the very fine quick cook oats.
- Chia seeds - be sure to use whole chia rather than milled chia. The latter will overly thicken the oats in my opinion.
📖 Swaps and substitutions
Swap blueberries for more cherries. I like the addition of blueberries, but if you want oatmeal with cherries alone, then simply add more!
Use the type of milk that works best or you. Each of us like, or in the case of my low histamine readers, tolerate different types of milk. Use the type most suitable for you.
🔪 Step by step instructions
A very simple recipe that requires very little prep time and no cook time at all, these cherry overnight oats have just a few steps:
Prepare the cherries. Use a cherry pitter to remove the stones, then remove any stems and cut the cherries into quarters (image 1).
Combine ingredients. Add all the ingredients to a bowl or a container that can be covered or sealed (image 2).
Pour on the milk. Give the oats a very good stir so they are all soaked in the milk (image 3).
Place in the fridge. Cover or seal your container and add the oats to the fridge for at least an hour or overnight. The oats and chia seeds will absorb the milk and thicken in texture (image 4).
When ready to serve, give the oats a good stir and loosen with a touch more milk to preference. Then top with cherries and almonds and enjoy!
💭 Recipe tips and notes
- Be sure to stir the oats well so they are well soaked in the milk. This helps them soften and go all creamy and delicious.
- I suggest not adding much more than half a teaspoon of chia seeds as it can overly thicken the oats and give a more 'earthy' taste.
- If using frozen cherries it is best to let them thaw slightly before making the oats.
📋 Frequently asked questions
Frozen cherries work well for overnight oats, but it's best to thaw them for 20-30 minutes before combining with the other ingredients.
You can eat overnight oats hot or cold. If serving hot, warm through in a pan or microwave. You may need to add a little milk to loosen.
If you want to add some fun toppings to your overnight oats you can choose from fruit, nuts, seeds or a nut or seed butter as tasty options.
🥣 More easy breakfast ideas
Cherry Overnight Oats
- Bowl or tupperware container
- Remove the stems and stones from the cherries, and cut into quarters. Halve the blueberries, if using.
- Add all the ingredients, except 1 tablespoon of the almonds and a few cherries, to a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside in the fridge for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Spoon into your serving bowl, top with the reserved cherries and almonds, and enjoy!
- Stir the oats very thoroughly so they are well coated in the milk. This ensures they soak up the liquid and become thick and creamy.
- I suggest not being tempted to add much more in the way of chia seeds as it can overly thicken the oats and give a more 'earthy' taste.
- If using frozen cherries it is best to let them thaw for 20-30 minutes before combining with the other ingredients.
- The blueberries are optional, leave out and use more cherries if you prefer!
- Please note that nutritional information is offered as a courtesy. It is auto-generated and should be understood to be an estimate.
- cherries score 0, but there is a note stating 'controversial'. Other lists vary widely, with some giving cherries as low histamine, others as higher. Only use if you know they are suitable for you.
- almonds score 1.
- non-dairy milk has variable scores.